Menu
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 11 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Gadget Rescue - for real????

@gcfalco wrote:

Ok guys I obviously haven't been clear in why I posted this under "security".

I was told by Virgin (via online chat) that they could provide a booster which would ensure my new security camera would work as expected. They said to obtain a booster I needed to contact their "Gadget Rescue" team.

So I called Gadget Rescue. After explaining the issue, Person A at GR (clearly a call centre somewhere very distant from the UK) told me they'd transfer me to the relevant team so I could be sent a booster. Then the line went dead. After numerous further attempts & repeatedly being cut off, I got Person B. They told me I didn't need a booster as they would be able to remotely fix it. They said I'd have to allow them remote access to my PC so they could "fix some codes".

When I said no I just want a booster B got angry & insisted I let her access my PC - at which point I smelt a rat & put the phone down.

As my camera works through the Hub & on to my phone - I can't even access the images via my PC - why did she want access to my PC? What codes did she have in mind fixing? What was going on?

As a security issue, do Virgin recommend that allowing someone remote access for no obvious reason is a good idea?

Indeed out of the people reading this, how many of you would allow access in such circumstances?

imo you are over thinking this - to me the answer is simple - i accept i may be wrong - the 2nd agent you spoke to had not a clue what you were talking about or what you wanted so look at the crib sheet and say something - anything will do as they assume you will just say yes

they are half way round the world - there only knowledge of the UK and the systems we have is what is fed to them - theres a post on her where a user wanted help with a thermostat on a british gas boiler or something similar - whats a british gas boiler was the question - when explained they were no wiser

VM move questions sideways to GR - mostly a complete waste of time and you pay for it

help here is free and usually gets to a solution

to your core question - was it a security issue - probably not but you were 100% right to refuse them permission to access your pc

Tony
0 Kudos
gcfalco
Tuning in
Message 12 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kippies,

Thanks for suggestion re. the app. I've now tried it next to the camera - it says I've got good wifi strength. However, it took a good 5 seconds after I'd finished the test before my phone buzzed to say someone was in front of the camera! 

To set the camera up, I followed recommendations & did it inside the house next to the Hub. Inside, the connection was instant. Where it is now outside, there's a good 10-20 second lag which makes using the microphone/speaker impossible.

So the app thinks the signal is fine, but I'd suggest not.

To obtain a booster, do still have to go through the Gadget Rescue team?

And if there's anyone out there from Virgin, when do you think you'll reply to my "Resolver" complaint?

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 13 of 16
Flag for a moderator

i am not aware you have to go the GR to get the booster kit - you can order them at £3 a month or there abouts - if you are on 350 i think you can get them for free if the app says you have dead spots 

so pay £36 a year for however long you have them or go a better route - spend your money on a good 3rd party wifi router and put the hub into modem mode - the difference will be chalk and cheese or if you can run a lan cable to nearer the camera do that and buy an access point

you are working with a hub that is ok on wifi but nowhere near as good as many 3rd party ones

Tony
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 14 of 16
Flag for a moderator

As others have said Gadget Rescue is absolutely not the correct team from which to obtain VM boosters.   The advice you were given in your initial online chat session was wrong.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 15 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I think the mod team need to get the Forum Team back to this thread and addressing the main issue that's been pointed out by others.

Why was the OP pushed to Gadget Rescue, when he'd identified a weak signal and advised that he wanted a booster?

Once you've addressed that question, the next thing to do, assuming you guys can do it from there is to do the following.

1. Sort out the booster.
  2. Check to make sure that GR do not bill his account.

@ModTeam @Kev_B - Over to you guys.

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 16 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi gcfalco,

Sorry to hear that you've been unable to order WiFi boosters with us so far and have been directed to Gadget Rescue.

Gadget Rescue offers help for non Virgin Media technical issues such as help setting up Printers, cameras and I'm not sure why you was directed to Gadget Rescue to order boosters and I apologise for this.

I can arrange for a WiFi booster to be sent out to you and depending on your package, there may be a charge.

So I can help, I'm going to send you a Private Message asking for some information, please reply to it so I can take a look.

Thanks,

Lisa