cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GDPR Breach

Roisinfloyd
Joining in

I was subject to a virgin media massive GDPR breach affecting 900,000 people and haven’t been able to get in touch with anyone about compensation. How is best to contact someone about this? When I try to ring it asks me to enter phone number which I don’t have. 

thanks 

9 REPLIES 9

jem101
Superstar

Well you could start here

[REMOVED]

Tell me, have you ever heard of the term 'ambulance chasing lawyers' before?

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate Hyperlink removed]

Thanks. Would have thought it wasn’t necessary to go through a lawyer for a confirmed GDPR breach. 

Ah that's not the way the law works. For compensation to happen, you have to prove some kind of physical or emotional loss which merits being compensated.  So How much money have you lost through this (alleged) GDPR breech? Have you suffered any emotional trauma because of it? How does £2 sound as a compensation?

If you are expecting a couple of thousands in compensation - you might want to think again. I'm sure the lawyers will do quite well out of it, customers, not so sure!

Ha! I’ve claimed compensation before without a lawyer for a legitimate reason (like this) and was happy with what I received. Thanks for you advice nonetheless. 

@Roisinfloyd then I wish you good luck; could I ask a favour? When and if you win your case, would you post the result back here so that others can learn from it and proceed accordingly?

jamesofmerton
Super solver

proving loss in a court will be unlikely. a year on, nothing has happened. i've read about the company behind this before. no thanks. 

this is certainly no ppi and people shouldn't think or compare that to it. ultimately no one has lost anything unless they prove it in court. that is different to the ambulance chasers heading this nonsense who simply want a large payout based on a 'breach'. virgin would usually just get a generalized fine, nothing more.  

this will go nowhere. 

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @Roisinfloyd,

Welcome to the community page, thanks for posting.

I am sorry to see this, I have responded to your twitter post. You mentioned it was to do with your utility's we are not a utility company. Was this email sent from us or from someone else? 

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hi Hayley

thanks. Yes it was from my utilities provider who opened a virgin media account on behalf of me at my previous address. I then received the email that my details had been affected by the breach. I asked for a full disclosure report of what details had been accessed via email and it was sent via post to my old address so my details were yet again accessed my third party. 

thanks 

roisin

Thanks for coming back to us @Roisinfloyd

I'll send you a PM now to assist further

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill