cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraudulent direct debit set up

Remote1000
Joining in

I have received emails today from my Bank stating 3 direct debits have been set on my account to Virgin Media Mobile Finance Ltd, Virgin Mobile Telecoms Ltd and Newasurion EUR RE VirginPhoneIns.

I have not signed any contracts with Virgin. I believe someone has set up fraudulent direct debits on my bank account which I have now cancelled. What checks do you carry out before setting up direct  debits to ensure you have the correct information for the customer. I am concerned you may have incorrectly set me up as a customer.

8 REPLIES 8

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Remote1000

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

I am very sorry to hear of this and shall send you a PM now to assist further.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi,

The same thing happened to me a couple of days ago (only 1 direct debit tho, to Telecoms), can you please advise on how to proceed, I've immediately cancelled the debit with the bank.

Thank you!

Hi, 

I just had another direct debit setup on my account (and I deleted it), can you please let me know why this is happening?

Hi maramara, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's great having you on board with us in the Community. 

I'm sorry to hear you've had Direct Debits set up on your account. I would like to look in to this further for you but will need to confirm some information with you. I have sent you a private message regarding this and will investigate further once I receive your reply. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

For a Direct Debit to be setup the recipient must request it from your bank using account name, account number and sort code. I therefore suspect someone has obtained these details fraudulently, so this is what you need to immediately investigate. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Any company I ever gave these details to has or had a number of employees that have access to them (more or less legitimately, for example an IT support person might access finance data by simply pretending they are fixing some issue on a finance person's computer).

From letting agencies to utilities company etc...good luck with investigating such thing 😬

Thanks for joining us via PM @maramara

Just to update this thread, you've advised us you've called the team to report it 🙂

If you do ever need anything, pop us a public post and we'll help further.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

sjfarrell77
Joining in

I am a virgin mobile customer and had 8 months worth of trouble with direct debit. I've logged complaints but no-one has resolved the issue.

Do not ignore this please because as I say, it's been going on 8 months. If you think 8 months is acceptable, then fine. But I don't think OFCOM will think that. Reach out to me. Get this sorted. Thanks for listening