Menu
bskp
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Fraudulent accounts and direct debit set up

Someone fraudulently set up 5 different customer references on virgin media, virgin mobile and virgin phone ins with direct debit on my bank account. Only virgin mobile customer service was helpful enough to match the reference and reported it for investigation.

The virgin media customer service was no help at all - claimed he couldn't match the customer references but somehow he was able to tell the account was under a different name and address. Please can someone at Virgin Media help - how I can reach someone there to report this for further investigation? I cannot even have enough to report to Action Fraud

I had told virgin customer service I already reported previously as a victim of fraud and this is also noted with credit rating agencies because similar fraudulent activities happened to me a few months back. I have now cancelled these new direct debits, but I am surprised how little virgin was able to help compared to other companies I spoke to with fraudulent credit agreements and direct debit set up using my details illegally  

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Fraudulent accounts and direct debit set up

you need to report it to your bank fraud team as well. they will block and recovery the costs.

0 Kudos
bskp
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

That was the first thing I did, thanks, so no monetary lost so far (I've suffered from this before!). Banks in general are pretty weak in this area. I asked them to request consent before setting up any direct debit - they never called me to ask for consent, but when I requested to set it up they couldn't do it at all while in the mean time other fraudsters managed to set up DD impersonating me!!! 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

IMHO, make a formal complaint and if the issue remains unresolved move bank.

0 Kudos
bskp
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

thanks all

However my question is really to establish WHAT VIRGIN contacts can I use to complain or log this - all contact numbers listed with the exception of virgin mobile was unhelpful and couldn't even point me to the right person to get details or to check those virgin customer references listed the direct debits

My bank, credit agencies have done their job and all necessary reports have been filed including action fraud but VIGRIN is completely unhelpful and appeared uninterested in stopping the fraudster(s). Colour me unimpressed 

0 Kudos
Tudor
Community elder
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

One thing my online banking gives me is the ability to list all my current and cancelled Direct Debits, also cancel any. I periodically check the list just to see if there are any problems. It also gives the date of the last payment so you can also check if there are any ones that need cancelling or any where the originator has not put through a payment for some reason or other. 

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi bskp

I appreciate you popping by with respect to the fraudulent Direct Debit activation's on those accounts you have mentioned.

I am sorry if it wasn't dealt with at the time of your original calls in a way that you felt was satisfactory.

I would agree with the community here and say with DD fraud the first thing, and what you have done, is to ensure your bank have cancelled these and are aware of this.

When it comes to fraudulent claims we have to be incredibly careful as there are two main parties here, the one committing the fraud and the one affected by this and we have no way of verifying who is who if we just speak to claimants via the phone.

To that end we have a dedicated Fraud team set up and they ask us to fill in forms with all the details pertaining to reported DD fraud and they would be the ones who would get back in touch with you once they have done the relevant investigations.

We would at your original point of contact be unable to provide data from the accounts in question as this would breach our security regulations, given that at this point we would have been unable to verify identity or clear security on the alleged fraudulent accounts when you called in.

If the Fraud teams have not been back in touch with you since you posted regarding this can you pop back to me on a PM and let me know more details regarding this?

If you can let me know:

• Your name
  • Your preferred contact number
  • Your full address

I'll start that ball rolling if this has not been done for you yet.

To PM* me, simply:

• Click on my forum PM link Karen_A

Many thanks

* For other forum users reading this, please only PM me if I have asked you to first.

Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

HI bskp

Thanks for your PM

I'm starting the ball rolling with this to see if I can log this with our teams.

Given the specific issues you have had here I will need a little more information so if you can pop back to me via the PM I've now sent you and let me know the updates I need from you that would be fab.

Kind regards and speak soon.

Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos