Menu
Ajmartin95
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Fraudulent account in my name

An account opened in my name in October 2018, at an address I’ve never lived at. I’ve constantly been phoning virgin and being passed person to person.... the account is in debt and killing my credit score, anyone I speak too can’t access the account as I don’t have an account password, how do I get this off my credit file?

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Fraudulent account in my name

bit puzzled, if the account was created at different address your not living at how you getting contacted.. could have a chat with customer services and ask be passed to the fraud department

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Ajmartin95
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I’ve not been contacted, it’s on my credit file which I noticed back in November, been trying to resolve this since then

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

You'd need to speak to the Credit Amendments Team. Pop them a letter or email with the following information:

Name
Account Holders Name
Full Address where you had the services
A photo or screenshot showing the Virgin error on your credit file
Contact details for yourself
They will investigate this and come back to you within 28 days.

The contact options are:

By post at: Consumer Underwriting, Virgin Media, Eagle Court 3, Coventry Road, Sheldon, Birmingham, B26 3RZ
Or via Email: creditfileamendments@virginmedia.co.uk
If the default is correct then they won't remove it. Instead it should stop affecting your credit score automatically after 6 years. If it's been over 6 years and it's still affecting you then it would be Experian that you'd need to contact.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Under Article 5,1 (d) of the GDPR regulations, https://gdpr-info.eu/ Personal data shall be: 

Accurate and, where necessary, kept up to date; every reasonable step must be taken to ensure that personal data that are inaccurate, having regard to the purposes for which they are processed, are erased or rectified without delay (‘accuracy’);

Article 16 states:

1The data subject shall have the right to obtain from the controller without undue delay the rectification of inaccurate personal data concerning him or her. 2Taking into account the purposes of the processing, the data subject shall have the right to have incomplete personal data completed, including by means of providing a supplementary statement.

Article 19 states:

1The controller shall communicate any rectification or erasure of personal data or restriction of processing carried out in accordance with Article 16Article 17(1) and Article 18 to each recipient to whom the personal data have been disclosed, unless this proves impossible or involves disproportionate effort. 2The controller shall inform the data subject about those recipients if the data subject requests it.

Also view the ico guidance to the GDPR, https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-data-protection/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-r... under Accuracy and Right to rectification.

The ico guidance also states that 

You must act upon the request without undue delay and at the latest within one month of receipt.

You should calculate the time limit from the day after you receive the request (whether the day after is a working day or not) until the corresponding calendar date in the next month.

You can make a complaint to the ico here: https://ico.org.uk/make-a-complaint/your-personal-information-concerns/personal-information-concerns...

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ajmartin95.

Thank you for reaching out to us on our community.

I am really sorry to hear that someone has created an account in your name without your knowledge.

I would like to invite you into a private chat so I can get some more details and look into this for you.

I will sent you a invite shortly, please click on the purple envelope.

Kind regards.

Paul.

0 Kudos