cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraudulent account in my name

ThompN21
Joining in

Hi,

I was checking my credit report when I noticed a virgin media account has been opened in my name at an address I have never lived at. The account has been defaulted and is killing my credit score. I have called virgin media numerous times and have also reported it to virgin media fraud team. Over a year later and I am still no further forward. They tell me I need the password for the account to bring up the details (impossible for me to know on an account that I have not set up) or that there is nothing they can do for me and I should raise a dispute with the credit referencencing or fraud team. I have already done both of these options and it is still not resolved.  After contacting credit referencencing, they came back to me saying Virgin media confirm the information is correct. I dont know how that is possible as I have never in my life lived at the address on the account or been asked permission to set an account up in my name. 

Do virgin media not request proof of id and/or proof of address from their clients? to prevent this from happening in the first place.

I dont know what else I can do to have this problem resolved. I worked so hard to build my credit score to have it ruined by this fraudulent account.   PLEASE HELP!!!

3 REPLIES 3

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi ThompN21

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

I am sorry to hear of this dispute. Can I just clarify something though - have our fraud team come back to you and advised no further action or was that the credit reference agency? 

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

The credit reference agency said virgin media have confirmed all information is correct. There is no possible way virgin media can say the information is correct when I have never lived at the address of the account. It is extremely frustrating to see that someone has managed to open a virgin media account in my name. Why was there no request for proof of address or proof of ID ???

I have not heard anything back from virgin media fraud team after giving my statement and no matter how many times I try to have this problem rectified I still get nowhere. 

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good morning @ThompN21 

Thank you for coming back to us,  we are able to raise a form for the fraud team to investigate.

I am going to pop you over a PM so that we can get some information. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M