cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forgotten router password

JuliaElston
Joining in

I changed the router password to one of my own but can’t remember it 😞 I’ve tried resetting the router to factory settings but I when I try to log on to the router using the original password on the router label it says it’s wrong. What can I do? Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

When you reset the hub did you do the following.

1) With the hub turned on press and hold the reset button on the back for a minimum of 60 secs.

2) Release button and do not power off hub and wait for the lights to stabilize.

3) When you go back to http://192.168.0.1 if the reset has worked then should ask you for language.

The password will be on the bottom of hub make sure not to use the wireless password.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

When you reset the hub did you do the following.

1) With the hub turned on press and hold the reset button on the back for a minimum of 60 secs.

2) Release button and do not power off hub and wait for the lights to stabilize.

3) When you go back to http://192.168.0.1 if the reset has worked then should ask you for language.

The password will be on the bottom of hub make sure not to use the wireless password.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

You really are a most excellent human being Mike! Thank you so much for taking the time to reply - it has worked. Chuffed to bits.
As you are so insightful, could I pick your magnificent brain again?
We are new to Virgin & have the M500 package which is amazing if you’re near the router, but unfortunately we have many wifi black spots in our house. 
We’ve been told we need a mesh system - can you recommend one? BT and Google seem to be rated quite highly?

Many many thanks again, Julia 🙂

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello @JuliaElston 

Glad that was resolved.

In the point of purchasing a mesh based system a lot of it will depend on you budget but for recommendations certainly the https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07NH1J543?ref=emc_p_m_5_i&th=1 is a very good system I have helped somebody on Virginmedia 500Gb set this one up in his house and he now gets pretty much great speed throughout his property.

If you decide then by all means come on back to the forum and the members will be able to help you get it setup.

Stay Safe and have a great day.

Regards Mike

I can’t thank you enough!! You’ve been so helpful Mike!! Many many thanks, Julia x

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello @JuliaElston 

Your welcome, if you have any more queries by all means come on back to the forum we do have a great team of VM staff members, VIPs and normal customers with a great deal of knowledge. Stay safe and have a great day.

Stay Safe.

Regards Mike

IYZY
Tuning in

Hi Julia,

I have the answer to your query.

All you need to do is grab a pen or a object with a sharp tip and head over to the router. Then look for the reset button which should be located at the back of the router. Press and hold the reset button with the pen or sharp tipped object for 30 seconds and the password will reset to the original one listed at the bottom of the router. 

I hope this helps 🙂

Hi

ive tried this five times this morning and it does not work.

so what now?

Are you trying the wifi password or the settings password from the bottom of the hub?