Menu
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 91 of 123
Flag for a moderator

Re: Finally had it with Virgin(I sound like a broken record)

Id go MBAM in the first instance.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/

Its effective and free.

Id also look at backing up critical files to NAS, and clean installing windows

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
Swissdavi
Tuning in
Message 92 of 123
Flag for a moderator

I think I’m having the same problems as you, albeit the “lite” version. However it’s early days and I’m already receiving some bloody strange answers from VM and their Gadget Rescue team. Here is my post https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Important-Serious-issue-accessing-Lloyds-Ba...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
deckhanddave
Dialled in
Message 93 of 123
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to hear you're having similar problems. I have a funny feeling that there is going to be more on the way in the near future. I don't believe it is all us as I have jumped through hoops and crawled through barbed wire with this with my computer coming up clean and I'm now checking my networked HDDs whilst offline. I have managed to get a new router which has cleared the problem but I am still having network issues yet an engineer checked today and said it's all good. My V6 box connected by wifi can't show programmes on my other wired in V6 all of a sudden. It stops misses dialogue and just puts up a network error message. One thing I would ask you, have you had a new SMART meter fitted lately? I ask because I am running out of ideas as every one I check comes up clean.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 94 of 123
Flag for a moderator

AFAIK smart metering system are on a separate network so can be ruled out as a possible cause of the issues you are experiencing; read more here The smart security behind the GB Smart Metering System

0 Kudos
Highlighted
deckhanddave
Dialled in
Message 95 of 123
Flag for a moderator

Hi and thanks for the input. I was thinking more of cross service/signal interference rather than a direct link, if you know what I mean. I'm not quite sure how to put it but if it were marine radar or radio I would call it signal interference from either a more powerful source or close proximity.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Swissdavi
Tuning in
Message 96 of 123
Flag for a moderator

I’m really fortunate in the fact that we have very little that depends upon online access. No smart meter, only a Sony Smart TV, Amazon Echo, 2x iPads, 3x Windows laptops, 2x Android tablets, a PS4 and 3 mobile phones. Everything apart from the Echo has been reset.

What annoyed me most was VM’s acknowledgement of the problem and their strange dismissive attitude regarding the malware. I got the impression this was a problem they were prioritising because of the increasing number of people reporting it. I have to admit I was far too willing to accept their assurances that it would be fixed in the next few days possibly because of listening to four different rap songs for an hour and half then repeating my name and account number 5 or 6 times.

The very fact that they told me about Vodafone suggests they are well aware of this issue.

I really hope you get things sorted out but I’ve a feeling this, like you say, is just the start. I think a lot of people won’t even realise they have the problem yet especially if they access the internet via their data allowance instead of ethernet or wifi. Hopefully they will start to receive more complaints in the coming days and be forced to act.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
deckhanddave
Dialled in
Message 97 of 123
Flag for a moderator

That's what [REMOVED] me off most was their dismissive attitude. Their "It is surely not Virgin Medias fault this is happening. Please let me put you through to Gadget Rescue who will surely be able to help with this problem. Would you like me to close this ticket down as resolved". Every day sometimes twice for three days, I nearly lost it with them. It's now 3 weeks and nowhere nearer getting to the bottom of it other than a new router has worked but I'm still getting a cruddy wifi signal with my Wifi connected V6 box unable to play a recorded programme from the wired V6 box. Something is amiss but not according to Virgin and their engineer. I even showed him an error report on the TV but he said that was nothing to even bother about. Then why does a V6 box generate a failure report? It was to do with closed ports.

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate language removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Highlighted
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 98 of 123
Flag for a moderator

The v6 box is a generic box running TiVo software.  The software has been adapted to run on a v6 box so many features like the "failure report" dont mean anything.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
deckhanddave
Dialled in
Message 99 of 123
Flag for a moderator

That's what the engineer said but it makes you wonder when things still aren't right.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
deckhanddave
Dialled in
Message 100 of 123
Flag for a moderator

Just to update where I am at. I have now scanned all but my two NAS drives with Malwarebytes. Lovely programme that reports pups and generic malware with an option to remove, quarantine or allow. Unfortunately silly me didn't know that pup meant potentially unwanted programs until strange things started happening with some software apps.more potential problems to sort. Anyway, I am down to my last two NAS drives but Malwarebytes won't scan them. Windows and Microsoft Safety scanner will and have but I wanted to do a third scan using something else. Any one got any suggestions as to what I can use or how to make Malwarebytes work on networked drives? Any help will be gratefully appreciated as it's the last two drives for me to do. That then gives my network a clean bill computer wise and then leaves my IoT stuff like radio, tv, ip cams, cctv dvr, Amazon echos and show, Meross bulbs and sockets. Which can be added back bit by bit per day to see if anything rears it's head. Meanwhile, I now need to buy a new router. Does anyone have any recommendations? I've gone off Netgear as it seems they only offer 3 months support for their routers in addition to the year or two warranty. I want to be able to get them on the phone for a year if possible if I have any problems with it.

0 Kudos