cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exposed Wires

Becci23
Joining in

Hi

I have never been a Virgin/NTL customer but we have a box attached the front of our house with exposed wires, out of the rubber cover, and would like it removed please? 

Many thanks!

14 REPLIES 14

goslow
Alessandro Volta

VM's responses on this sort of request are random, and often make no sense, but the most common reply is that they won't do anything about old cable installations unless they are causing a health and safety problem. If you think that is so in your case, post up some photos to illustrate the issue causing a danger.

As a general point, it is best to leave the cable and box intact in case you, or anyone else, ever wants VM services again at the property. It is easy enough to do a DIY tidy up of the cable and external boxes can easily be obtained to enclose the ends of the cable should VM turn down a request for a remedy to the issue.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Becci23,

Welcome to our Community Forums! Thank you for your first post, and I'm sorry to hear that you're having some issues with the external box on your house. 

As @goslow stated, we would advise to keep the cables on the side of your house, as this would make for a quick install for when you or another tenant decide to take on Virgin Media services. 

Please let us know if the cables are causing any issues externally, and we'll be able to help.

Let us know how you get on and what you think.

Thank you,

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

This box was put on my property prior to my purchase. As it is my property and I intend it to be my forever property I have no desire, nor have I ever, to be a customer of Virgin. Therefore I think it is appropriate they remove or at the very least make safe their property that has been abandoned on my property. Not my responsibility especially as I do not have the skills to be this. I cannot send pictures of the offending item as your system does not allow the picture quality of my camera to be uploaded. Is there another way I can send these? 

Screenshot_20211016-150321_Gallery.jpg

I feel it is unfair and dangerous to have this sort of "mess" next to our front door when not something I ever requested. Thank you for the advice on the resize. 

Screenshot_20211016-150321_Gallery.jpg

Looking at these images they don't seem to represent a safety issue the exposed wires are normal as they would feed into the building, as others have said virgin are very unlikely to remove it as they will claim it is a utility like gas and electricity with the Internet being an essential part of peoples lives.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you open the box you will find the looped up cable is attached to a screw connector. Simply unscrew the cable, discard this & seal the box up again. VM are unlikely to remove the cabinet drop cable as it will cause issues in the ducting at a later date for serving your property or the neighbouring properties.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

AranN
Tuning in

The previous owner agreed to the cables and box.

You bought the property as it is. When you saw the properties those cables were there.

If it was that much of an issue then you should have raised it with the vendor prior to purchase.

Virgin aren't going to come out and remove them. If you really hate them then tidy them up or rip them out.