Menu
Highlighted
Morrile
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Email passwords

Why is virgin media still living in the stone age when it comes to security?  I read online that password must be; 

• be between 8 and 10 characters long
  • begin with a letter
  • consist of only letters and numbers (no special character like #&@*)
  • contain at least one number

Your password must not:

• contain words from the dictionary
  • contain three numbers or more in a row

We also recommend that your password:

• contains a combination of upper and lower case letters

A 10 character password can be broken without too much problem, so why can we not have special characters? Because of historical hacks I would have thought VM would have evolved to allow us longer and more complex passwords; it makes common sense. I have very complex passwords to various sites up to 64 characters (using a good password manager with a long complex password I cannot forget) so the technology is here and about time VM step up to the plate.

Can someone from VM explain why passwords are limited to 10 characters?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Email passwords

This question has been asked umpteen times on this community.  You may get an updated VM staff reply to this often asked question, but it is likely to be at least a weeks wait.

The previous answers have alluded to difficulties arising from the many disspararate number of legacy systems that Virginmedia are managing following a lot of consolidation in the UK cable market over the last ten years or more.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Morrile,

Thanks for your post Smiley Happy

Ensuring customer data is secure is of utmost importance to us and we continually invest in our security systems to keep our customers safe online.

In common with every other company, our login process requires customers to use unique passwords using a variety of characters. Additional technical controls and anti-fraud measures defend against unauthorised login attempts.

Our engineers regularly review our systems and carry out updates – and account security is always a top priority.

More information on setting strong passwords can be found here: http://virginmedia.com/strongpassword

Thanks

0 Kudos
Morrile
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hello Graham_A,

Many thanks for a prompt reply. Your reply was a millions times better than Virgin media's comments posted below your. Clearly they did not read the email when they offered a link from where I copied the majority of my facts.

"the many disparate number of legacy systems that Virgin media are managing following a lot of consolidation in the UK cable market over the last ten years or more" yet you would have thought in 10 years they would have improved things rather then just putting up prices.

Morrile

0 Kudos
Morrile
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

"Our engineers regularly review our systems and carry out updates – and account security is always a top priority" clearly not as it's been 8 to 10 alphanumerical characters for some years. Pointless posting a link for more information when I copied the bulk of the information within my email from that link location. You reply was pointless!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Morrile.

Thanks for replying and we have taken your feedback on board and will feed this back to the relevant area of the business.

Kind Regards 

Chris_W1

0 Kudos