cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email blocked for containing 'SPAM-like characteristics'

SteveTetch
On our wavelength

I have several machines and a couple of NAS boxes in my home network. Like others, both my wife and I have had 'Suspicous_Activity' emails from Virgin Media in recent weeks, ("A device using your internet connection may be infected with malware"). On each occasion, I've performed full BitDefender scans, (which found nothing) and changed the access password for the accounts. This allowed us to regain access to locked email accounts.

My NAS boxes perform system checks every month and send me status reports via email giving me the results. Today, I had a "Mail delivery failed : returned to sender" message in relation to one of those emails. It was sent in the small hours of today (Nov 1st) - which is when these checks are scheduled to run - and reports that "This message has been blocked for containing SPAM-like characteristics".  This is a VM email sent to a VM address.

The message itself is a two line plain text email. Admittedly, it refers to me as 'Dear User', but I can't see a way this can be amended, (though I'm still looking). Also, I've received these messages without issues at the turn of previous months. A test message generated by the Synology DSM notification applet - which has no salutation but does include a hyperlink to the IP address of the server - gets through with no complaints.

As well as standard report results, the NAS is configured to send email warnings if a series of exceptional conditions are met - network failures, elevated temperatures, HDD issues etc. Clearly, it's more important that these messages get through cleanly and in a timely fashion.

Please advise what I can do to ensure that such notification messages aren't blocked in future get through as intended?

Best regards,

Steve

1 REPLY 1

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Switch your alert messages over to a non-VM email service. VM's email service has had various issues, on and off, over a long period of time. Even when the current email fiasco is resolved, it will only be a question of time before the next show-stopping issue arises to prevent VM customers accessing their emails.