cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email about DOSPARTICIPANTS and Red Light Router

MrWilsonVBB
Tuning in

Hi all,

First time posting! Hope you're all well.

My router Hub 3 has been showing an orange light but now it's gone red, and then yesterday I received an email reference : Our reference: VMIS139-DOSPARTICIPANTS-F009710118

We’ve been notified by a third party that a device on your home network has participated in a Denial of Service attack, which is where a computer system sends a large amount of traffic to another computer system or network with the aim of disrupting its connection to the Internet.

I live on my own and have checked all the devices for malware and can't find anything.

I was having horrendous broadband issues and then after speaking to customer services they said I should upgrade my speeds which has seemed to help, and then I get this email.

Thanks for any help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Re the DOS letter see this post: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Email-Letter-received-Malware-Denial-of-Servic...

Re the red light and speed issues on the Hub you should post a separate message about this in the quick start, set up and connection forum.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Re the DOS letter see this post: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Email-Letter-received-Malware-Denial-of-Servic...

Re the red light and speed issues on the Hub you should post a separate message about this in the quick start, set up and connection forum.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Many thanks and will do!

Hi @MrWilsonVBB,

A warm welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for your post. 

We're sorry for any alarm we may have caused reference the Denial of Service Letter. A big thanks to Graham for directing you to the post from the Mod Team regarding this.

I note you have not yet created another post on the correct board regarding the issue with your Hub displaying a red light.

Just to double check, is the Hub currently in modem mode? If so then the light will be a magenta colour but can look quite red. This is perfectly normal.

If it's not then please follow the below steps:

• Turn the power switch off on the back of the Hub.
  • Ensure the Hub is upright, in a well-ventilated location, and, if at all possible, out of direct sunlight.
  • Then use the power switch to turn the unit back on. The Hub should now operate normally.

If the issue remains, pop back here and let us know. We can then arrange for an engineer to visit and replace the Hub. 

Many thanks

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Ayisha_B

Yeah I have only just had time to come back on. I've done all that with the Hub and it's still doing it. To save re-posting I'll wait for your reply here

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

I will pop you over a private message to confirm some details 🙂 

Cheers, 

Ryan. 

Chonk
Joining in

My router also is showing the red light and I have no internet. I have checked the cables, turned off and on. It starts, tries to connect for a long time, then the solid red light comes on. 
Help! Working from home!!!

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Chonk, 

Thank you for your post and welcome to our forums 🙂 

I am sorry to hear you are having issues with your hub and you are having the red light issue, we will need to get this replaced I will pop you over a PM and we can get this sorted for you.

Zoie