cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR

rab2010
Joining in

When I try to access some web sites from my virgin wifi I get a ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR

If I visit my dad house I can access the websites via the same devises, so its not a google chrome thing.

It is across all devises mac, windows and phones.

I've disabled the web safe options.

What else could it be?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

From what is described it is likely Web Safe is incorrectly being reported as off. To confirm if this is the case try:

• confirm Web Safe is off
  • open a Command Shell or Terminal window and enter the following command:

nslookup nordvpn.com​

If it resolves to an IP Address of 81.99.162.48 then Web Safe is still on; should that be the case post back here to have the issue flagged to the forum team.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

rncross
On our wavelength
What is the website?
Does the same device (e.g. phone) work via accessing via mobile data but not via wifi? i.e. if so that eliminates common browser/system problems?
It may be worth experimenting with settings in https://my.virginmedia.com/my-apps/onlinesecurity/websafe/settings

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

From what is described it is likely Web Safe is incorrectly being reported as off. To confirm if this is the case try:

• confirm Web Safe is off
  • open a Command Shell or Terminal window and enter the following command:

nslookup nordvpn.com​

If it resolves to an IP Address of 81.99.162.48 then Web Safe is still on; should that be the case post back here to have the issue flagged to the forum team.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

rncross
On our wavelength

That is fairly rubbish that Virgin Media block one of major VPN providers in the world with no legitimate reason. And I don't consider using a DNS sinkhole for 'web safe' legitimate. Given not all VPN providers are blocked it appears to be random and poorly programmed (but given their non-existent security practices for user's online accounts where we are forced to use insecure passwords that can easily be broken I'm not surprised).

Hi, I've just checked and that is the case.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @rab2010,

Welcome to the community page, thank you for posting on here.

I am sorry about the issues you are having so far, I can see that you have received the answer already.

Are you still looking for help with this? 

Look forward to hearing from you.

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hi, unfortunately it seem the web safe is still on, can you turn it off? 

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @rab2010,

Thank you for your response.

I would love to help you with this, I will send you a private message so I can access your account.

Look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide