cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dodgy Caller

Kaff55
On our wavelength

Hi All

I've just received a call from an Indian call centre claiming to be Virgin Media.  The caller stated that they had detected some inconsistencies and illegal activity on my broadband, was this correct? (I could barely hear the caller - I’m deaf and didn’t have my hearing aids on) so think this is what he was saying.  I said no and he disconnected.

i know that Virgin would not randomly call like this as I’ve had this issue previously, but what my concern is, is that I was unable to clear my phone for some minutes to be able to put a block on this mobile number!  I was somehow still connected to this number but I was still able to hear a dial tone.

Any help to shed some light on this scam much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Kaff55 wrote:

i know that Virgin would not randomly call like this as I’ve had this issue previously, but what my concern is, is that I was unable to clear my phone for some minutes to be able to put a block on this mobile number!  I was somehow still connected to this number but I was still able to hear a dial tone.

FYI: explanation follows:

There are potential problems and the risk of fraud when the called party replaces their handset to end a call but the calling party does not. Currently, in this situation, the network will wait between 2 and 3 minutes before initiating call clearing. During this time, the calling party is still connected to the called party. If the called party picks up their handset within the timeout period, they will still be connected to the calling party. Such a feature has always been available on analogue lines to allow the called party to hang up and subsequently re-answer the call for instance when moving from one extension to another. However, this feature has of late been exploited by fraudsters who hold the line open.

[Source: WLR003/14 Called Party Initiated Clearing Procedure Change for WLR3 Analogue lines]

The miscreant is playing an audio recording of a dial tone in the hope of catching you out when calling to confirm authenticity of call.

To avoid being caught out by this always wait 3 or more minutes before using the phone line or use an alternative phone.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Kaff55 wrote:

FYI: explanation follows:

There are potential problems and the risk of fraud when the called party replaces their handset to end a call but the calling party does not. Currently, in this situation, the network will wait between 2 and 3 minutes before initiating call clearing. During this time, the calling party is still connected to the called party. If the called party picks up their handset within the timeout period, they will still be connected to the calling party. Such a feature has always been available on analogue lines to allow the called party to hang up and subsequently re-answer the call for instance when moving from one extension to another. However, this feature has of late been exploited by fraudsters who hold the line open.

[Source: WLR003/14 Called Party Initiated Clearing Procedure Change for WLR3 Analogue lines]

The miscreant is playing an audio recording of a dial tone in the hope of catching you out when calling to confirm authenticity of call.

To avoid being caught out by this always wait 3 or more minutes before using the phone line or use an alternative phone.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I would also add that blocking numbers is of no use. All the numbers used by scammers are faked & are either unused, or belong to another innocent party that has nothing to do with the scam. These fake IDs are changed on an almost daily basis, so the likelyhood is you will be called again shortly from a totally different number.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Kaff55 thanks for posting and welcome back to our community.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention and looking to protect your fellow members.  I am very certain that this was not an employee of ours.  If you do wish we can take a look to see if anyone accessed your account at the time in question?  I seriously doubt it, but I can check.

Regards

Lee_R

Kaff55
On our wavelength

Hi Lee

that would be appreciated - thank you

Hi Kaff55, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this one. 

I'll be able to check this for you now but will need to confirm some information with you. 

I have sent you a private message regarding this and will investigate further once I receive your reply. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs