cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant Portmapper Vulnerability emails

Nelstrid
Tuning in

I have been getting these emails for months now.

Previously I have been using the hub as a router.  After the first few emails I reset the hub, deleting any port forwarding entries.  Still got emails after this.

Since then (because of the rubbish performance of the hub as a router and being told on here that there was no fault on the hub) I have bought a separate router and set the hub to modem only.  I have since had absolutely no wifi/disconnection issues using the external router ‌

However, today I received ANOTHER portmapper vulnerability email!  How can this be possible when the hub is set to modem only?  The new router has had no ports mapped.

Also, I don't appreciate the aggressive nature of the wording in the email.

virgin.png

4 REPLIES 4

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Nelstrid,

Welcome back to our Community Forums and thanks for your post.

I am sorry to hear you have received this email

Can you confirm if you have taken a look here to secure your network?

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

I looked at it following a previous email, before giving up on the hub as a router.  I now literally have a hub 3 in modem mode (so no port mapping going on at all) and a brand new router with no ports configured for anything.

If Virgin think there is an issue, they can feel free to send out an engineer to have a look for themselves.

I have now received ANOTHER aggressive email, stating "We have been alerted on four separate occasions a device connected to your home network has been identified as having a potential Portmapper vulnerability."

Like I said previously, my hub is in modem mode only - so no portmapping going on and my brand new router has not had any ports configured by me!

Whatever is causing this issue is beyond my control, so if you want it sorting you're going to have to fix it at your end, send a new hub, or send out an engineer to investigate it.

I'm sick of getting these emails and I work in IT - I can't imagine how worrying and frustrating it must be for someone who is a technophobe.

P.S. My internet connection has been working flawlessly since I set the hub to modem only and bought a new router - thus proving that the hub is absolute rubbish.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Have you read this:

Open Portmapper Vulnerability

Portmapper (also known as RPC Bind or RPC Portmap) is a service used by computer systems to assist with networking tasks. Unfortunately, Portmapper currently has a bug that can allow remote third-party attackers to gain unauthorised access and perform Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks against target machines. A remote attacker can take advantage of this bug by sending a specially crafted request to an affected Portmapper server.

Block external Portmapper traffic

The easiest way to fix an open Portmapper vulnerability is to set your firewall to block UDP port 111.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2