cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cold call from Virginmedia?

fixerman
Superfast

I received a call only mobile phone this morning supposedly from Virginmedia to tell me they want to send me a new router to replace the existing one. It was not a very clear line and the lady making the call had a strong foreign accent. I have my own router an AC1900 dual band ASUS. I only use the Virgin router as a connection point (forgive me, I don't understand the technical meaning). I'm 77 and very wary of scammers. When she started asking me for personal details I became suspicious and terminated the call.

Anybody had similar calls?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @fixerman, thanks for your post although I'm sorry to hear of your suspicions.

Generally, our faults team do not do outbound calls to inform customers of router issues, so it does sound like a fradulent call.

Can you please confirm what types of personal information they were asking for?

To both @fixerman and @ne1, it may be worth viewing our link on how to deal with fraudulent calls.

I hope this helps and please let us know if you need any further support.

Many thanks

Tom_W

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

ne1
Dialled in

Hi, I've just had a similar call, was an Asian male. Told me my router was sending error messages. I hung up at that point.

11:56 a.m.  The call was from 0191*******

[MOD EDIT: Number removed]

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @fixerman, thanks for your post although I'm sorry to hear of your suspicions.

Generally, our faults team do not do outbound calls to inform customers of router issues, so it does sound like a fradulent call.

Can you please confirm what types of personal information they were asking for?

To both @fixerman and @ne1, it may be worth viewing our link on how to deal with fraudulent calls.

I hope this helps and please let us know if you need any further support.

Many thanks

Tom_W

Having informed me that Virginmedia were going to send me a new router, which would be the latest version, she said that she would have to take me through security with some questions. I told her that I had no issues with my router and didn't need a new one. She then asked me for the first line of my address at which point I advised her that I considered her to be fake and I terminated the call.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

The quickest way to check if it's a scam is to say "I'm not on Virginmedia any more".  If it's a scam they will hang up instantly - it's worked for me twice recently. 

In the extremely unlikely event that it's a genuine call, they will have your record in front of them and see that you are still paying.   

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.