cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chromebook

Ronnyhammond
Joining in

I recently purchased a chromebook through a virgin deal but 3 weeks after receiving it we were burgled and it was stolen. Can virgin trace or block it? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Ronnyhammond wrote:

I have but it shows it hasn't been signed in to my account since 5 days before the burglary.  Should I phone virgin and tell them as I still have 21 months to pay on it?

I doubt there will be anything virgin can do, hopefully you are insured 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Every single Chromebook (as well as an phone or tablet powered by Google’s Android operating system) has the ability to be tracked.

Find My Chromebook Using Google Account

Scroll down to the Your devices section to see all of the devices you've recently used to log into your Google account. Select Manage devices under that list. Scroll down to the Chromebook you want to locate and select it

This powerful ability allows you to find your chromebook if someone steals it or if you just forgot where you put it. But it is important to remember a few things about Chromebook Tracking:

1. The Chromebook needs to be turned on in order for Chromebook Tracking to work. If someone turns it off then it can’t be tracked anymore.
  2. The tracking mechanism will be limited to just the general area it is in. Usually just the city it is in. And the Chromebook will need to be connected to WiFi.
  3. If someone turns off WiFi you will not be able to track your Chromebook.
  4. If someone wipes your Chromebook then you will not be able to track it.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Ronnyhammond wrote:

I recently purchased a chromebook through a virgin deal but 3 weeks after receiving it we were burgled and it was stolen. Can virgin trace or block it? 

Can't say I am familiar with Chromebook security procedures but have you looked at the Google security info here

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/7177579?hl=en-GB

Doubt there is too much VM can/will do for you.

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Ronnyhammond

Welcome to our Community Help Forum 🙂

Thank you for making this post regarding your Chromebook, I am so sorry to hear that you were burgled and the Chromebook was stolen.

Have you tried following the steps @dannylau provided to track your Chromebook? Please do keep us posted on how you get on!

Best wishes,

Serena

I have but it shows it hasn't been signed in to my account since 5 days before the burglary.  Should I phone virgin and tell them as I still have 21 months to pay on it?

dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Ronnyhammond wrote:

I doubt there will be anything virgin can do, hopefully you are insured 

Hi Ronnyhammond, 

Thanks for coming back to us and apologies to hear the steps given were unhelpful. 

There wouldn't be anything we can do regarding the payments I'm afraid. If you have insurance you can make a claim through that to try and recoup the cost. 

Apologies once again. 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs