Menu
suzyfee
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Check Authenticity of Virgin Media Rep

I'm trying to set up broadband through Virgin.  Someone stopped at my house the other day purporting to be a Virgin Media Consultant.  After discussing my requirements, I received an email from him asking for full name & address/DOB/employment status as well as Acct no/Sort Code to set up direct debits.

I have prepared my return email to him, but before I press 'send' I was wondering if this is the 'normal' modus operandi of Virgin or if I'm somehow being conned?  

Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Check Authenticity of Virgin Media Rep

Tbh I wouldn’t risk it. These days there’s too many scammers either phoning or knocking on the door. 
Did he show you any official pass/document to confirm they were from VirginMedia?
Usually someone official will have pre-contract papers or something similar they can fill out there & then which should include name & address & direct debit/bank details, if they’re asking for this information via email then I’d be suspicious.
Perhaps posting the email address here that you’re meant to send the details to would give us some indication. If you hover over any email address &/or web links in the emails sent to you do the links match the written text?

Virginia/Anankha. If I have helped please give me Kudos.
Highlighted
zvonok
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Personally, I would not entertain such a 'door approach'...

Prob 90% scam to obtain your bank details … Have NOTHING to do with it ..

If you want VM ;  Got to local VM store  / or use on-line via their website … ZvnK ..

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

A VM door to door seller will be in uniform, have ID and a branded company vehicle like this:

VM door to door seller.jpg

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos