cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't pay usual way, card declined, 'SCA' error. Natwest says you need to update to full '3D' security???

TomSpeed
On our wavelength

I think they said '3D' anyway, but yeah, they said they have already informed you about this too.

Thanks.

Tom.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

PapaBear2
Tuning in

I am also getting that message and I have tried on Microsoft Edge and Chrome. This problem has only started for me from this latest bill last month I had no problems at all paying via website and after a text conversation with a Virgin Media representative via their app I was told it would work the next day but still not working.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

29 REPLIES 29

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Banks are now verifying a large number of internet transactions with you receiving a text message on your mobile with a number  that is entered into the web page when paying. Do MatWest have your current mobile number.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Tom!

Welcome back to the community.

Can I ask regarding this, are you receiving any verification messages when attempting to pay?

Thanks,

Kain

TomSpeed
On our wavelength

Hi,

No verification messages, I just enter my details, confirm them e.t.c, then it almost immediately comes back with the 'SCA' error after submitting.

Is this via a Web Browser?

^Martin

TomSpeed
On our wavelength

Hi Martin,

Yes, FireFox.

I've never had this issue before and I've paid using this methoid for years.

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @TomSpeed,

Sorry to hear you're still having issues. I've looked into this for you, and we're not having any wide-spread issues with payments from NatWest. Have you tried this on a different browser? Are you also able to try and make a payment on an alternative device?

Sometimes, if you have additional security features, whether it's on your device or browser, payments can be affected. Do you have any 3rd-party security?

Cheers,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

TomSpeed
On our wavelength

I just tried paying again, same error still. Screenshot included.

I'll have to call and pay over the phone, which is a nuisance, but I just got an overdue charge.

vm error.png

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @TomSpeed 

Looking at the screenshot you provided it does indeed look like the payment was declined due to one of the reasons listed below.

Soft Declines

A soft decline occurs when the issuing bank approves the payment, but the transaction fails at some other point in the process. Some typical reasons for a soft decline are:

• Insufficient Funds
  • Processor Declined
  • Card Activity Limit Exceeded
  • Expired Card
  • The Purchase is Unusual
  • The Billing Address and the IP Address Do Not Match
  • The Card is Being Used Abroad

Info from What-Do-the-Declined-Transaction-Result-Codes-Mean 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

PapaBear2
Tuning in

I am also getting that message and I have tried on Microsoft Edge and Chrome. This problem has only started for me from this latest bill last month I had no problems at all paying via website and after a text conversation with a Virgin Media representative via their app I was told it would work the next day but still not working.