cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calls from 0800 052 1251

tom-t
Dialled in

Keep receiving calls from this number perporting to be from Virgin Media.

They then ask me to confirm security questions to which my reply has been sorry no - you called me so not divulging that information.

Is this a genuine Virgin Media number as they seem very put out when I refuse to answer the security questions and a few times the caller getting a bit aggresive?

286 REPLIES 286

I am not a Virgin customer. I am getting calls from this number for the last 8 months or so. At first the calls were random, but recently they are coming in thick and fast -- like two or three times a day. Despite exhaustive explanations, that it is a futile exercise talking to someone who isn't even a customer, let alone the person they are intent on addressing, they still continue offering upgrades to a non-existent service. This routine gets repeated on every call!!

As these calls are coming from an official source i.e. Virgin Media, and the call-centre staff have access to sensitive details. I have come to a conclusion that the only way to stop this harassment is to play along next time and upgrade this non-existent customer to a service they have apparently subscribed to. If there is some kind of fraud prevention or security policy in place, then someone will see their folly? If not, at least the press will have a field day with it. Of course, also lodge a complaint with Ofcom at the same time.

I welcome any advice on this matter.

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @johnnycab,

Thanks for your post. I'm sorry to hear you're receiving these calls from us. Just to confirm, are we calling to speak with you, or are we asking for another person? 

If you have been a customer with us previously, this may be why you are receiving these calls. You can view more details about how your details are collected and used in our Privacy Policy

Cheers,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

You are asking for another (random) person. You talk about a VM package and upgrading it. You very clearly believe this person you want to speak with is another customer known to you. I was a PAYG customer until last year, I did not receive these calls. I had also opted-out from all forms of marketing communication. Furthermore, I am not in the coverage range for most of your services, so these calls serve absolutely no purpose whatsoever.

You called five times yesterday, and getting increasingly desperate, as I have already received 2 missed calls today! I had a brief look at the Privacy Policy link you provided. In order to communicate with yourselves, it seems like you want me to register again and provide redundant and sensitive information, which you did not even previously hold on your records! This is obviously designed to frustrate any attempts at making valid complaints. Since, these nuisance calls are originating from a legitimate source and clearly designed to harass innocent people, with no way to stop them. Unless you can provide me with a solution, I will take this matter to the relevant authorities/ombudsman.

Hi Johnnycab, 

Thanks for coming back and confirming things to us. 

If we're asking for someone else then it would mean your number has been added to another account where they have permissions for marketing calls. 

This could have been input by mistake by the customer or agent depending on how the number was updated. As the number doesn't belong to them, I can try and see if it's attached to the account as a primary number. If it is, we will be able to remove it for you. 

I have sent you a private message regarding this and will investigate further once I receive your reply. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi johnnycab, 

Thanks so much for coming back to me so quickly on this one. 

I have removed the number from the active account now. It can sometimes take up to 28 days for all marketing to stop as a lot is pre-planned however if after the 28 days you receive anything, please come back here and let me know. 

Many thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Kath_F Thanks for picking up this issue, it is much appreciated. I will let you know if it is still unresolved at a later date.

NormtheOld
Tuning in

If calls are from a 'reputable' company, and we don't answer the call, they should always leave a message saying why they are calling, so you can decide whether to accept the call if they call again.

Scammers/boiler rooms don't leave messages......

Given Virgin is a telecommunications company, they should have a better system.

They have our email addresses so they could email to say that would like to call, and quote the number they will be calling from. 

DerbyGig
On our wavelength

I have just received a call from this number today, it just sounds so suspect in the way they approach a conversation...it made it even  more suspect as i was talking to VM cust service today in regards to my poor 1gb speeds and i am looking to cancel. Coincedence maybe or purpose but either way i did not want to divulge my details to discuss anything further. VM need to review this service as many have mentioned when you do not want to divulge they seem put out and aggresive.. i requested a ref number and got a response " whats that for"  ? even more reason to not talk to them.

Sorry VM sort your call centres out, i have in the past worked for BT Tech centres in the UK and i would not respond like this to any customer.

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post.

I'm sorry to hear of this happening to you, what was the call regarding or did you not get to that stage of the call?

Regards,

Steven_L

DerbyGig
On our wavelength

Hi Steven,

Thank you for responding, no i didnt get to that stage of the call...the lady mentioned breifly it was about service review of VM services.

Maybe its me but honestly it was the approach that was all wrong and just made me feel awkward from the off.