cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calls from 0800 052 1251

tom-t
Dialled in

Keep receiving calls from this number perporting to be from Virgin Media.

They then ask me to confirm security questions to which my reply has been sorry no - you called me so not divulging that information.

Is this a genuine Virgin Media number as they seem very put out when I refuse to answer the security questions and a few times the caller getting a bit aggresive?

286 REPLIES 286

CHRIS210
On our wavelength

So lets get this clear.

Because we know that we can't trust a caller from  0800 052 1251 to be genuine due to number caller ID being "spoofed" (fake) your advice is :

1. I can edit my marketing preferences via my online account and this will stop the genuine VM Promotion team calling totally.

2. Call you on 150 or 0345 454 1111 if I want to discuss my contract.

Question:

If VM insist on continuing with the VM Promotion team contacting customers using 0800 052 1251 as they obviously do, how about that instead of them trying to offer you a deal/promotion there and then, which means customers having to give details & answers to security questions, why not just text or email the customer to inform them that the VM Promotion team have a deal/promotion you think the customer may be interested in & if the customer wishes to hear about it they can as you said call 150 or 0345 454 1111 (which I believe is free from a VM phone/mobile.)

Hi. 

It's impossible to get through. I even tried the chat and that was logged in for about two hours before disconnecting.

It's easier to speak to HM the Queen. 

CHRIS210
On our wavelength

🤣

I'm thinking the VM Promotions team should have their own officially dedicated contact number and online chat options?

Might reduce the queues on having to wait for someone who can't help or needs to transfer you to another colleague or to another departments queue.

Red_Wimp
On our wavelength

Well I answered the call, still not clear whether talking to VM or a scammer.  I took the option I was talking to VM and said didn’t want any changes and stop ringing me, but the calls are still coming so was either a) scam or b) incompetence, either way I e blocked the number now.

Hi @CHRIS210 and Red_Wimp, thanks for your posts.

To be very clear on how to identify a genuine Virgin Media call, we should never ask you to confirm your long 16-digit card number for a package change and if things so still seem suspicious then it's always best to ask the agent to note the account, and call us back on 150 / 0345 454 1111 where we can confirm things for you.

Please also don't forget this link too.

Many thanks

Tom_W

CHRIS210
On our wavelength

Considering your Promotions Team are a separate department, what's the chance when we call 150 / 0345 454 1111 we could be given an option to press that will put us through to them directly? Rather than be sat in what is understandably normally quite a lengthy queue because the 150 / 0345 454 1111 numbers are used by everyone with any enquiries or problems with tv. broadband, mobiles, billing etc. May still put us in a queue but it should be a smaller one than the current bottleneck your operating under.

Hi @CHRIS210, thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, the team that you're getting contacted by are only available on outbound calls, but if you wish to discuss your bill or package then we do have seperate flows in the automated line which will stop you getting put in the queue with people who have technical faults.

If you do need to discuss your package in anyway though, the best option to call is 150 / 0345 454 1111, options 1, 4 and 1 again.
Many thanks

Tom_W

Through "My Preferences" yon can only opt in or out of all communications - you can not specify "Yes to Email" and "No to telephone calls" this is extremely poor and in my opinion not in the spirit opt out requirements.

tonkinese
Joining in

I've had three calls this week alone; yesterday one was simply checking the services I had and was I happy with them. I said yes. She thanked me, rang off.

Today there was another who asked the same questions and then said there were some offers I might like; put me on hold while he checked them, and then returned with an offer of some more tv channels. I pointed out that I was quite content with what I had, and that since we have just been hammered with massive increases in our energy bills that I did not wish to lay out any more money. He thanked me, and rang off.

The third one rang a few hours after that but did not reply when I answered the phone.

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Apologies for the issues regarding this tonkinese,

Welcome back to the community.

To clarify, have you opted out of the marketing calls at all?

Thanks,

Kain