cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calls from 0800 052 1251

tom-t
Dialled in

Keep receiving calls from this number perporting to be from Virgin Media.

They then ask me to confirm security questions to which my reply has been sorry no - you called me so not divulging that information.

Is this a genuine Virgin Media number as they seem very put out when I refuse to answer the security questions and a few times the caller getting a bit aggresive?

286 REPLIES 286

brian5
On our wavelength

08000521251 called me on my non virgin mobile number yesterday, a woman with a stong asian accent clained to be from virgin media and wanted to offer me "packages", then asked me to confim my adress and post code, I hung up.

Same number called today, and I didn't answer.

Every year or so I start to get plagued by calls from Virgin Media Sales trying sell me a revised package, always clearly from a no UK based call centre, and after the first call they just continue to call day after day, often several times a day. So I am expecting to receive more calls from this or similar numbers for at least several weeks now.

Just so you know, I will never deal with a cold caller, I will most definetly never deal with, or trust anyone with a foreign accent who calls me, no matter who they "claim" to be from. Not being racist, just find that there are far too many scam callers with accents, so it's a self preservation thing.

IF there is a similar, or better package available at the same or lower price to that which I am paying right noe, just change it and let me know via Email or Post, as you did with the upgrades of Broadband, VM send emails and post about "better" packages and upgrades for me all the time, so absolutely no need to call me. IF I want to alter my package, I WILL GET IN  TOUCH WITH VM.

Don't tell me to log in and alter my preferences, AGAIN, as i have not altered them since the last round of cold calls. It would appear VM just bides it's time then starts cold calling AGAIN, in the hope that I have fogotten about my preferences.

I have no intention or having this number call me every day for 28 days until you " update" my preferences, so the next time it calls It will be blocked.

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Welcome back to the forums brian5. 

We appreciate the frustration this has caused.  If you have opted out of marketing calls then this should have been updated on your VM preferences. 

If the calls do continue we would be more than happy to check over the settings on our end. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

Just realised this should have read "Cheaper than any equivalent 'so called' upgrade special deals from VM sales team..." I certainly did NOT call the VM sales team for a special deal!

I did get £50 cashback after using a different sales team and still pay less for more data than the 'special deal' from Virgin sales!

brian5
On our wavelength

This is the thrid time I have complained about VM sales calls,  Nov 2016, daily calls from a VM sales number, complained and they finally stopped after about 6 weeks of daily calls, only to start again on a daily basis from another number in Feb 2017, again I complained and EVENTUALLY they stopped. That was 4 years ago and I have not altered my preferences since then, so why have VM started to call me again, since the first call Yesterday at 14:22, when I answered the call and hung up when I was asked to confirm my address, they called again this afternoon at 14:12, I rejected that call and they called again tonight at 19:10, when I again rejected the call.

I have suggested before that VM are breaking data protection law and risking a massive mega fine. Even this friendly warning didn't prompt them sort out their sales team. VM probably need to sack these people before they cost VM millions in legal costs and lost customers. Or, of course, officially declare this number a scam which should be blocked at source. The fact they haven't done so seems to prove it really is a genuine VM sales number and they're acting on behalf of/breaking data protection rules on behalf of VM.

I'm pleased to say I've had no more calls since switching to a different mobile network provider, in spite of keeping the same number.

tonybips
Settling in
I am a VM customer. I had a missed call yesterday morning, then spoke to somebody on this number when they called back yesterday morning and told them I wasn't interested thank you. Since then i have had THREE further calls, all saying the exact same thing. This is incredibly bad practice, and unless your intention is to annoy your customers so much they go elsewhere, I very strongly suggest Virgin Media sort their act out. Harrassing your own client base is not only stupid, it is self harm. STOP DOING IT

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @tonybips,

Thank you for getting in touch with us in regards to receiving spam calls. I'm really sorry to hear that and we'll do all we can to have this issue resolved.

Please ensure that you've changed your Marketing Preferences on your online account, to ensure that you're not subscribed to receive any calls from our Marketing Team.

If you believe that you're receiving calls from someone who is pretending to be Virgin Media, please keep us updated and we'll do all we can to help. If you're receiving any Fraud calls, please take a look at our website to see how you can protect yourself against fraud calls.

Thank you,

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

EW2
Joining in

They recently started hounding me, I finally answered last week and told them I wasn’t interested in hearing what they have to offer, since then the calls have continued multiple times a day on both my landline and my mobile. Had another one this evening, answered and told them I’m fed up of being hounded so much and not convinced they are genuinely VM. 
Also followed the suggestion to update contact preferences, don’t mind communication about offer via email or post but I will never take up an offer over the phone. I suggest VM have a list of valid authentic phone numbers on their website so we can see if it’s the real deal! 

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi EW2,

I notice you said you have been contacted on both landline and mobile.

If the mobile is also with VM then  you would also have to turn of the marketing there by logging into

https://mobile.virginmedia.com/ecare/login 

Turning off marketting doesn't stop VM sending literature by post to the householder.

Please note it can take up to 28 days to take effect, so you may still be plagued with calls for the time being.

Also there are no separate options to turn off telephone, post, text messages, tv edit magazine etc individually, so all forms of marketing will be stopped.

Hopefully VMO2 will rectify this at some point.

If you still want to read the tv edit magazine then save <<< this bookmark >>> 

it's a good suggestion for  VM have a list of valid authentic phone numbers on their website, however this would probably make it even easier for spammers to fake the numbers.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

VM  is not my mobile provider, and I have not even given my landline number to my family let alone anyone else