cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calls from 0800 052 1251

tom-t
Dialled in

Keep receiving calls from this number perporting to be from Virgin Media.

They then ask me to confirm security questions to which my reply has been sorry no - you called me so not divulging that information.

Is this a genuine Virgin Media number as they seem very put out when I refuse to answer the security questions and a few times the caller getting a bit aggresive?

286 REPLIES 286

We do apologise for the experience Chris210. 

If there is anything we can help with further then do let us know and we'll feed this back in the meantime. 

Thanks. 

Emma_C - Forum Team

The Answer is not a very good one as there is only one option for all communication "Awesome! I would like to receive information on Virgin Media products and services" I am very happy to receive update information by post or email but I do not wish to have the heavy number of calls from people I usually can't understand, not a racial issue my hearing is poor and I rarely use voice calls mainly for emergencies. So it seems like I need take the option that would make it improper for Virgin to send me any update information or to change my Mobile provider and number then make sure Virgin do not get the number which is not really a good option for either of us. So it is in both Virgin and my interests to make it possible to opt-out of the nuisance calls without cutting Virgin off from any Marketing communication with me.

Similar issue here, after a missed call I googled it to find its apparently a genuine virgin number*.  And again they want information off me which I won't provide as they should be able to provide something to prove who they are.  Yet they keep calling all the same despite me either hanging up or saying "not interested stop calling".

* I say "apparently a genuine virgin number" with regards to 0800 052 1251, but how sure can we be this is genuinely virgin media?.  I'm asking and questioning that as every time I get a call from this 0800 052 1251 number within a certain period (usually an hour) I also always get a call from a number +8001836411.  Research indicates (from this forum I think) that whilst that also is a "genuine" virgin number, that number would never be displayed like that and it could be a spoofed number and people should be careful of it.

If that's true then how sure can virgin be that both numbers are not spoofed and unsafe?.  Because it's been reported countless times by people that the 0800 052 1251 caller is often highly unprofessional, of poor understanding & won't take no for an answer and keeps calling even after being asked not to.  And with this second number always calling at the same time that would never be displayed if genuinely virgin, well it's certainly an issue for concern on both numbers.

I have been plagued by calls from this number too in the last few days.  My mobile marks it as spam.

mikemobile84
Joining in

I personally don't mind receiving calls however the caller does not give you chance to question their identity which is completely unacceptable and only advises "well if you don't verify with me you can't get the savings" then hangs up. This is a problem Virgin Media should resolve and not expect it's customers to for them!

Totally agree!! Not just VM but other cold calls as well. I've often had a problem trying to get confirmation that who "Called Me" are who they say they are, instead of me having to give them all the information. Another level of security could be a customer picked "codeword" or better still a "code sentence" that VM tell us before we agree to give them the answers to they're security questions?

Hollie_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there @mikemobile84 

Thanks for your post. Sorry to hear you're unhappy and that you've had this experience, they shouldn't drop the call. Have you now opted out from marketing calls from us? Were you able to give feedback on that call? 

Thanks, 

Hollie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hollie_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there @CHRIS210 

Thanks for your post and for the suggestions with outbound marketing calls. We'll pass the feedback on to the relevant team. 

Thanks, 

Hollie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hi @Hollie_B Thank you for your reply. I hadn't attempted to opt out of marketing calls, as I said "I personally don't mind receiving calls" however based on your response it seems to me Virgin Media (a service I pay for) are not willing to fix their issue and expect their paying customer to put what is effectively a workaround in place, based on this I have now opted out. The only place I have had chance to give feedback is here so that is what I have done.

Also I recommend as Virgin Media seem so unwilling to resolve their issue of their sales staff seeming like scammers they edit their website https://www.virginmedia.com/help/fraudulent-calls and remove the bit that says "How to report a fraudulent call You can make a complaint and report a fraudulent call online. To do this, visit actionfraud.police.uk" as I was close to reporting it to them as it didn't comply with what I assumed was Virgin Media's policy on calling customers who may suspect the call to be fraudulent and could result in wasting police time.

Lee-SX
Tuning in

Always nice to receive calls but my 'recents' list is a large collection of 'scam' calls all claiming to be from Virgin. Had a spate of them every 3 months, in the last week they are going for it big time with 3 calls every day since last Thursday.

When I answer you get office noise then someone comes on and pronounces my name very badly, and are very hard to understand.
Claim to be from Virgin media, but then hang up or say "will call back later" when you ask what they want.
One of 3 numbers in rotation, also using 0800 408 9340 and +44 800 183 6408
Checks on the numbers show huge lists of complaints for each. so if these are from real Virgin media sales teams they are having a really bad impact on your companies name. Annoying that I have to have a landline with your contract as that is probably 100% scam calls these days, the block list is huge, and now my mobile is about 90% scam calls.
Have missed a few important real calls this year due to just assuming it's going to be yet another scammer.