cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calls from 0800 052 1251

tom-t
Dialled in

Keep receiving calls from this number perporting to be from Virgin Media.

They then ask me to confirm security questions to which my reply has been sorry no - you called me so not divulging that information.

Is this a genuine Virgin Media number as they seem very put out when I refuse to answer the security questions and a few times the caller getting a bit aggresive?

286 REPLIES 286

Sorry to hear about the calls causing you to block the number and can understand that it's frustrating. If you haven't already, please see the advice in this thread such as ensuring the marketing box is unticked in your online account to prevent future marketing calls from Virgin Media.

Regards,

Lisa

Sorry, don't have time to look through 17 pages from a forum to stop those calls. I have been a software engineer/web developer for over 20 years and 10 minutes on the site didn't find any option about marketing except the one that looked like I already checked years ago. Number is blocked via phone. Employ some real programmers rather than lame frontend artist/engineers and marketing people who demand stuff infeasible.

RANK BEGINS: It reminds me of the last company I worked for who forced marketing assignments on programmers and used frontend javsascript people with no idea how to use logic or program and problem to hack the site to the way marketing wanted, demanded by their bosses above who didn't have a clue how a website works. Artists don't belong on making websites as they have no logic, but marketing love them because they do what they say and really screw up websites with hack after hack. RANT OVER

CHRIS210
On our wavelength

Myself and probably a lot of others would probably like to hear about new offers and special deals. but having someone with a foreign accent/call centre asking for your information before they are willing to tell you about it is a really poor way of doing it, because assuming most people like me will not do so and hang up or possibly block the number thinking it's a cold call scam/phishing. My thinking is that every VM customer has a number code or code word given to them or picked by them that the promotions team also has access to. Promotions can tell the customer at the start of their call what that code/word is so the customer knows it is the promotions team calling and not a cold caller phishing.

Any marketing system adopted currently by VM will have to undergo serious review in the light of the recent data breach.  The chances are that very few people will consider a call claiming to be from VM to be genuine, even if they know stuff about you. I shall now adopt the same approach to VM as I do with other companies on the phone, through email, or at the door - if you have something you want me to consider,you have my address so put it in the post.

CHRIS210
On our wavelength
I was not aware VM had had a data breach. Can you tell me more or direct me to the online breach information please.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/News/Virgin-Media-s-data-incident-Help-and-Advice/ba-p/4166258

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

There is also a thread on the forum which has references to the same incident: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Odd-email-from-purporting-to-be-from-Virgin-Sa...

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.

Futttergly
Settling in

I have the same. Someone with a Philippine accents. I never give any details and put the phone down. How am I suppose to know if this is a genuine call. 

Hi Futttergly,

I can appreciate your concern. I can assure you that number is one of our dedicated sales numbers. 

^Martin

CHRIS210
On our wavelength

Now I know it is a genuine number I bit the bullet yesterday when they called yet again!! Someone in head office really needs to set-up some fake accounts and have a listen to how these calls are conducted because, my god !!! what an absolutely terrible experience it is. A 5yr old could read and construct a sentence better than the girl I spoke with. Told her I didn't want to have a VM mobile sim because I don't like the idea of having all my phone options with one supplier in case something goes wrong, so she proceeded to try and sell me one? Don't watch movies or sports and same thing, tried to sell me Sky Cinema and Sky sports. I feel sorry for these callers as they are probably working for a very low rate of pay but there really should be a higher standard of training given before they are set loose on customers.