cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calls from 0800 052 1251

tom-t
Dialled in

Keep receiving calls from this number perporting to be from Virgin Media.

They then ask me to confirm security questions to which my reply has been sorry no - you called me so not divulging that information.

Is this a genuine Virgin Media number as they seem very put out when I refuse to answer the security questions and a few times the caller getting a bit aggresive?

286 REPLIES 286

fmac2
On our wavelength

Perhaps this should be made clear in the reply email.

EvanD
On our wavelength

how long does opting in take?

28 days to opt out is excessively long

Diddyman
On our wavelength

I just received a call from this number and I am disgusted with VM and their practices, they are not doing themselves any favours here...

Let us be honest, the amount of fake and scam calls comming through on our land lines is just a joke now, I work at home a lot and there are probably 2 to 4 calls every day, also because of the region of the world where these fake and scam calls originitate from, as soon as you receive a genuine call with a similar accent at the other end, you immediate assume it is a fake/scam call.

The account we have with Virgin Media is in my wifes name, my wife has a Virgin Mobile Phone account too, my name and my details are not on the account.

So when I received the call from VM on my own personal mobile phone on the 3 network, on a mobile number which VM should not have I was a little supisious, especially when the person at the other end knew my wifes name and nothng else.

The person at the other end insisted they were from Virgin Media:

I said :  This is not [my wife name's] phone number

They said: Are you an authoirised person on the virgin media account?

I said: Well you tell me who is an authorised person if you are from Virgin media, because I think this is a scam call?

They said: We are from Virgin Media are you an authoirised person on the virgin media account?

I said: If you are Virgin Media then confirm to me which package we have and our monthly cost

They said: We are from Virgin Media are you an authoirised person on the virgin media account?

I said:F**K OFF you Scammer!

Well done VM for handling this so well!

Maybe you should spend more time in offering better deals to long standing customers and stop anoying them and giving half price deals to new customers who then leave after the deal is over, and stop creaping up the price for everyone else !!

Sorry this is turned in to a bit of a whine and rant, as it is a common topic for discussion as to the "Value" VM actually delivers to us now, in view we have Netflix and Amazon Prime, I suspect it is only a matter of time before we leave VM or cut it down to the bare minimum.

Diddy

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums Diddyman

Unfortunately we cannot stop scam callers dialing our customers.

However, it would be worth registering your phone number with the TPS to see if these calls can be filtered out

Kindest regards

David_Bn 

@Diddyman

That call would have been from Virgin's outbound sales trying to persuade your wife (account holder) to take on more/upgrade Virgin services.

Even though they rung you, untill the account holder has given the correct 3 characters from the security password, they can not speak about the package and price information you asked - would be braking GDPR rules 🙂

Sounds like at some point, contact was made to Virgin from your mobile, maybe to report a fault?, any numbers used to contact are stored.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.

@Diddyman, I feel you bro!  It’s good to get it off your chest. Probably many people reading this will be feeling the same. 

I work from home and see the VM CS number and just let it ring out most of the time. My wife works 0730 till 2000 every day so she’s not exposed to the calls. The calls come in waves - for maybe a week - and then die off for a while. I’m not authorised - and don’t want to be. Most of the time they’re trying to sell upgrades or phone packages that we just don’t need. Rarely, they want to upgrade some hardware so I do answer sometimes and I organise the delivery details. 

We’ve got a couple of old boxes and whenever I enquire about an upgrade to V6 there’s always a charge - so I don’t bother. However if I had the V6 box we’d pay more for the higher definition content. So VM is missing out on revenue for this.

And (this is the point!), because they’re missing out on revenue, whenever the phone rings from this number I have a little smile. They may be annoying me a little with all these calls (that I hardly ever answer), but I know they’re not getting the extra revenue they could be getting because of the way they design/execute their customer business practises. 

So, find something like this to take away the anger and frustration and go and do something totally unrelated. I try to stay out of their bubble. It’s not worth the hassle. 

I'm one of the previous V moaners about these calls. My settings were always to not receive any marketing calls. My calls stopped when I bought a new contract phone (because I actually wanted one and I didn't go through the sales team on this stupid number). What a co-incidence, eh! 

I also have an Amazon Prime and NowTV account and, like you mentioned at the end of your 'little rant', I am starting to think that it is time to ditch VirginMedia and just pay for the occasional month of Skysports, Movies etc. through alternate streaming services. 

The only Ace in Virgin's deck is their fibre broadband but now the 'kids' have all left home we don't need 300mbs speeds for their online gaming and other activities. Other telecoms can provide more than enough speed for two pensioners' modest streaming requirements and Freeview is also good when combined with the various catchup services.

I will be looking at broadband only deals next year. VirginMedia need to look to the future and adapt their business model in line with the way many of their customers are heading or they may find themselves wondering why their numbers are down!

I have received 4/5 calls from the same number in the past two weeks. Same as all the other posters on here, my phone number is NOT linked to a virgin media account and has NEVER been used to contact virgin media in any way. And yet, i'm getting phone calls asking me to confirm details of an account (asking for information like address, name ect) that i do not own!

Can someone explain how or why virgin media have access to my phone number, which ISN'T linked to a virgin media account?

Hello itscraigs

Sorry to hear of the recent contact you have received but thank you for making us aware of this. It may be you have signed up with a 3rd party who consents to share this information with us. Have you registered here www.tpsonline.org.uk to prevent calls to your landline or if this is via mobile, depending on the make and model you may have the feature to block numbers.

Rob

I have signed up to NO 3rd parties, nothing in anyway links my phone number to ANY virgin media account. I'am also signed up with TPS, however i still have maybe a week to go before the 28 days has passed. I have a note of when this date is, if i receive a call from virgin media again after said date, i'll be making a complaint to TPS right away.