cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calls from 0800 052 1251

tom-t
Dialled in

Keep receiving calls from this number perporting to be from Virgin Media.

They then ask me to confirm security questions to which my reply has been sorry no - you called me so not divulging that information.

Is this a genuine Virgin Media number as they seem very put out when I refuse to answer the security questions and a few times the caller getting a bit aggresive?

286 REPLIES 286

Updated to what?

They have always been set to not receive any marketing calls but I was still being called. That was the problem.

The calls have now stopped but I expect they will start again in a couple of years when my new contract reaches the end.

Regards

Thanks for the reply ynysygwas, 

It's good to know the calls have stopped, if you do get anymore then please let us know so we can investigate further. 

Regards, 

Dean C

Ok

Thank you for your time.

Regards

Huw

Baldrick10
Settling in

I've just taken a call from this number. It flagged on my phone as potential spam caller and the general vibe of the call made me suspicious saying I was entitled to some offers now I have been with Virgin Media a couple of months.

Even though I have been with Virgin Media for two months, it didn't feel right. The caller went on to ask me to verify my address, but I said I was not prepared to continue the conversation until he could verify he was from Virgin Media. I asked him to give me my Virgin account number, and the response was Virgin Media take personal account details very seriously and he would need to confirm my identity first.

I said I was not prepared to continue as I was not confident this was a genuine Virgin Media call, the caller apologised and the call ended. He was always polite on the call. I then Googled the number and found this thread.

It seems to me Virgin need to have bit of a rethink on the approach, as there are just too many alarm bells that make you suspicious and if these are genuine calls then it is a shame.

As far as I was concerned they shouldn't have been calling at all as I selected all the options to not receive sales calls etc.. I'd suggest selecting the appropriate options in your mobile account but it doesn't seem to make any difference if they think they can sell you something. I never actually got to answer this number as it had always rung off by the time I got to my phone. Which made me suspicious it was an automated dialler and this tied in with it being a sales team somewhere that was calling a database of customers.

Like I said, I don't think it is a coincidence that this number has stopped calling me since I bought a new contract phone, 'off my own bat', and there is no longer any commission to be earned from this 'cash cow'. Virgin do need to rethink this nuisance hard sell system of theirs. There seems to be no accountability re who is ignoring customer preferences. Legally, of course, they are allowed to call you to provide information etc. as long as they are not trying to sell you anything. So they can cold call to inform you of a special offer and if you then decide to buy something they haven't broken the TPS law re cold call selling.
Still annoying and a bloomin nuisance to be in a restaurant abroad and find a number you don't recognise is calling! I will never ever buy anything from the Virgin sales team over the phone so no point them calling.

Martinneedshelp
Tuning in

we are getting constant calls from this number sometimes five or six a day, especially when you do not answer the call. Yesterday we were offered. The Sky Movies Collection Sky Movies on demand Sky Sports unlimited use of our land line and 350 broadband speed all for £3.00 more a month. Tonight they offer the same package for £20.00 a month more. How stupid and annoying are Virgin. Time to cancel I think

Hi Martinneedshelp, 

Thanks for your post, 

I'm sorry for the experience you've had with the team.

If you'd rather not receive these marketing call you can update your preferences via your online account by going here under My Profile> My Preferences.

Kind regards, 

Alex_Rm

Thanks but when I try to view My Profile I get a message about maintenance on site and cannot view the profile to change my marketing preferences. I also notice that no upgrades appear in my account. It is as if you are only prepared to offer upgrades by phone and I am being blocked from changing my preferences. To be honest we were almost willing to except the additional package for £3.00 a month but as this seems to have increased in price overnight we are left bewildered and frustrated. 

@Alex_RM wrote:

Hi Martinneedshelp, 

If you'd rather not receive these marketing call you can update your preferences via your online account by going here under My Profile> My Preferences.

Kind regards, 

Alex_Rm

Well, normally you can do so, but not until VM fix our access to that section of the website.  I feel most sorry for users who have been hacked, are unable to change their password, and suffering 7 days of financial insecurity so far!

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Password-resets/td-p/4004095

EvanD
On our wavelength

I just got one of these calls.

After telling them I wasn't interested in Sky Sports (not even at the "loyalty gift" price of £22 per month) and with the operator politely ending my call once he realised any further chat with me was futile, I waited a few minutes and got an email saying my marketing preferences had changed.

Seems the operator took it upon himself to untick my box so that I wouldn't receive any more marketing messages. Is he allowed to do that? Surely that's up to me to decide.

On the other hand, most marketing material I get are to upgrade me to either Sky Sports or Sky Cinema, since they are the only packages I don't have. The last one was for me to have Sky Sports free for another 3 months... in SD only. I gave that a miss too.