cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calls from 0800 052 1251

tom-t
Dialled in

Keep receiving calls from this number perporting to be from Virgin Media.

They then ask me to confirm security questions to which my reply has been sorry no - you called me so not divulging that information.

Is this a genuine Virgin Media number as they seem very put out when I refuse to answer the security questions and a few times the caller getting a bit aggresive?

286 REPLIES 286

I received calls from this number some time ago, but they've now resumed.

I've refused to prove who I am and asked why they call me on my non-V|M mobile when the could call me on my VM landline and be sure they're at least speaking to someone at the right location.
I'm registered with the telephone preference service and opted out of receiving sales calls on my VM account but I'd have more success pointing that out to a brick wall than to the caller!

I've reported the calls to the ico.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Even if the number is correct, I still think it's number spoofing by a scammers or scammers operating separately but from the same call centre, or something along those lines. It would explain why having a current contract or being opted into marketing seems irrelevant.

Funnily enough, the only time I've ever been scammed genuinely was Virgin. They had contracted out to a third party, no doubt the cheapest available, who were using dodgy tactics to trick people into signing without knowing the full details. The tactics weren't approved by Virgin, of course, and I believe the contractors were caught and punished, but the point is that it can happen, and no doubt more so when monkeys for peanuts is your ideal employee.

Virgin/Sky/BT/Apple/Windows/HSBC/Barclays/Natwest/Amazon... these companies are common target brands because the companies are so prevalent. You don't have to know who is a customer, chances are good you can just guess and be right. If you're wrong, just hang up and ask the next random person about their Virgin account. Knowing your name is a useful bonus but not necessarily required.

I'm mildly amused by the official responses to customer services sounding like scammers. Just "oh yeah, that's us".

I must say that the technician did come eventually, albeit 2 & a half hours late as he'd been held up on a previous visit, and installed the Tivo box OK.

Thanks for letting us know Parsloes.

Enjoy 🙂

jamesmorrish
Joining in

A gentleman called me and told me as a valued and loyal Virgin customer over the last 5 years, they would like to give me a special gift.

He offered me an upgrade on my broadband. When I pointed out what he was offering was an INCREASE in price, he put me on hold while he discussed it with his boss, and then after a few minutes he hung up.

Unbelievable.

My husband has received several calls on his mobile (a BTEE account)  from this number this week. Today I picked it up and identified myself as his wife. The caller, a woman with a heavy far Eastern accent, said she was from Virgin Media and told me she had a very good offer to save us money. When I asked what it was, she said she could not tell me unless I first supplied our address and post code. If the caller is from Virgin, then surely they know this? I said I was not prepared to give this out unless I had some proof she was from Virgin. She again insisted she could give me no further information unless I first supplied details of my address and post code. 

Honestly what script are they working to? It sounds just like a cheap scam . I hung up. 

Another call this morning. Have now reported them to the ICO.

My apologies Rockette,

Have you asked them to remove you from the marketing?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

I’m in the same boat with this too...had 3 calls from this number today on both my mobile and landline, not to mention all the calls in the last month or so. I opted out of marketing calls ages ago and this number is getting really annoying, especially on my mobile while I am at work. I’ve also just upgraded and changed my contract in the last few weeks so what on earth are they trying to offer me! I refuse to answer this call.

My apologies.

Can you check your online account to ensure your marketing preferences are upto date? 

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill