cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calls from 0800 052 1251

tom-t
Dialled in

Keep receiving calls from this number perporting to be from Virgin Media.

They then ask me to confirm security questions to which my reply has been sorry no - you called me so not divulging that information.

Is this a genuine Virgin Media number as they seem very put out when I refuse to answer the security questions and a few times the caller getting a bit aggresive?

286 REPLIES 286

Yep....  Just had a call at work from this number.
I would've placed a large amount of money on it being a scammer.

VM you REALLY need to do a quality assurance test on this side of your business.  It is horrific.  Not just saying that to be dramatic, but there is no way on earth I'd have expected VM to be associated with the level (read as: Lack of) professionalism in this call.

But https://virg.in/myVM under 'My Profile' > 'My Preferences'.is a typical half-baked effort. It only offers all or none. I'm sure many Virgin customers don't object to email marketing (within reason). It's all these unsolicited phone calls from some nondescript, third-party sales team that irritate so much.

Lovely... despite asking VM not to call me in the last phone call today my call went like this...

Me: Hello.
VM: Hello.
Me: Hello?
VM: Hello..   pause...
VM: (insert script)
Me: Ahhh VM , Yes Im at work and last call I asked you not to call me with sales calls.
VM: I understand that but I didn't want you to miss out on this offer.

Seriously?! 

Oh and where is this "Preferences" option?  I dont have anything under My Profile which says Preferences.  Is this because I'm a blueyonder account?
Either way how do I opt out of receiving sales calls on my mobile.    I thought GDPR was meant to be that when you say "dont contact me via XYZ" that the company would be breaking GDPR if they continued to do so.
Ive got security details, contact details, username and password and email address only.

ExpVolt1598
Joining in

Feel harassed by this number. Marketing preferences definitely set to No.

VM online chat refused to confirm/deny if it was a genuine VM number. No response on Twitter.

Suggest if anyone feels annoyed by the calls, register a complaint with Information Commissions Office under 'Report spam texts and nuisance sales calls.' It only takes a couple of minutes and you don't have to give any personal information.

I have just registered my complaint and will be doing it for every call I receive from now on. Since I've never agreed to Marketing calls, I suspect VM could end up under investigation.

Update on this. Twitter account advised I call VM. I did, they confirmed marketing preferences are set to No so I shouldn't be getting calls. Advised I wait for another phone call and ask to be put on a Do Not Call list.

Guess there's nothing that VM can do about these sales calls. I have to sort it out myself. Not such a great thing for the Virgin Brand.

I just had a call from this number today too. She was offering me a Tivo box upgrade for free. I've booked a time for later in the week for the engineer to instal it.

However, she was very difficult to understand & was obviously reading from a script. And she gabbled - had to ask her to repeat several times! Can Virgin not find people with an understandable accent??
I'm relieved, however, that this is not a scam! Is it??

Tom_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Parsloes,

Was the call made from the number listed in this thread?

You should have also received an email to confirm the equipment upgrade taking place for you.

Thanks,

Tom_S

Yes, from this number.

She didn't ask for my email address, but as I get emails from Virgin for other reasons, she must have it on file somewhere.  She certainly had my mobile number!

But I haven't had an email confirmation.  Or a text message confirmation.

Tom_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for the quick response.

When has the appointment been booked in for you? I'm going to send you a private message to ask for a few details so I can check and confirm this for you.

Thanks

Tom_S

I waited for 5 hours today for the technician to come & instal the Tivo box - no-one came.  I have PMed you, Tom.