Menu
Davewallypete
Joining in
Message 1 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Calls about IP corruption

I have had all the usual bogus BT calls but just had a different one. Pre recorded call from ‘Shirley’ purporting to be from my IP provider (not named) saying my IP address has been compromised by more than one country and I need to change my IP address. Press 1  for a technician. If I don’t do this my internet will be disconnected within 24 to 48 hours. Anyone else had this? I have had the same call twice now.

NickNewark
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Re: Calls about IP corruption

Avoid like the plague, its a scam. TalkTalk customers have also been getting calls. My mum is with them, but they have a great free service called CallSafe, which enables you to block incoming calls from unknown numbers. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 31
Flag for a moderator

@Davewallypetewrote:

I have had all the usual bogus BT calls but just had a different one. Pre recorded call from ‘Shirley’ purporting to be from my IP provider (not named) saying my IP address has been compromised by more than one country and I need to change my IP address. Press 1  for a technician. If I don’t do this my internet will be disconnected within 24 to 48 hours. Anyone else had this? I have had the same call twice now.

New one to me too, obviously a scam (as you clearly know)

I remember the days when scams made an actual effort. Your IP provider saying your IP has been compromised...YESSS....

I like keeping them on the line for as long as possible, maybe its only wasting a few (whatever the local currency is in the originating country) but it ties up their time. My favorite was when a gentleman from the Indian subcontinent kept calling me a "count" when I revealed I wasn't really using their remote control app on my PC...I mean I got the reference but **bleep** learn to swear in my native language before attempting to rip me off. I can swear properly in like 5 different languages....make the effort...

MrHalfAsleep
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 31
Flag for a moderator

I was gonna post this yesterday:

Compromised by more than one country?Smiley Surprised

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
0 Kudos
Boz59
Just joined
Message 5 of 31
Flag for a moderator

I have received an identical call today. I put the receiver down. The call came from 01417791553.

0 Kudos
Tudor
Superstar
Message 6 of 31
Flag for a moderator

The call did not necessarily come from that number. That was the number given by caller Id, which is very easy to spoof. Do not ever believe caller Id. 

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal
0 Kudos
Judione
Settling in
Message 7 of 31
Flag for a moderator

I had exactly the same call today. I just put the phone down

0 Kudos
Tudor
Superstar
Message 8 of 31
Flag for a moderator

If I have the time, I just love giving them false info and keeping them on the phone for as long as possible, it can be really funny some of the waffle they come out with. It also keeps them from calling someone else for a while.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal
0 Kudos
scarylibrarian
Joining in
Message 9 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Had an automated phone call today asking me to press 1 to be connected to a technician re ip address corruption. May be old but not yet stupid!  Live in Scotland and this is a first for me. Scammers obviously trying to prey on us too.

0 Kudos
Leylah14
Joining in
Message 10 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Like you I’ve just received the same call from “Shirley” at 14:25 today, phone number began with “01684” I just put the phone down cos I’m sure it’s just a scam doing the rounds.

0 Kudos