cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call purporting to come from Virgin Media Security

keithrob
On our wavelength

I have just received a call from someone with a very heavy Indian accent. telling me I had problems with my internet security. As it was very difficult to understand what he was saying and there was a lot of background noise I believed the call to be a scam and I discontinued it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jem101
Superstar

@keithrob wrote:

I have just received a call from someone with a very heavy Indian accent. telling me I had problems with my internet security. As it was very difficult to understand what he was saying and there was a lot of background noise I believed the call to be a scam and I discontinued it.

And you believed correctly! These calls are ALWAYS a scam.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

jem101
Superstar

@keithrob wrote:

And you believed correctly! These calls are ALWAYS a scam.

keithrob
On our wavelength

What I forgot to mention was that I dialled 1471 and was given a number for my local exchange as the caller.

And I have just had a second call. These people are a total pain.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@keithrob wrote:

What I forgot to mention was that I dialled 1471 and was given a number for my local exchange as the caller.

And I have just had a second call. These people are a total pain.

You seem to have made quite a few past topics and posts on the subject of spam/scam calls. Unfortunately VM offer no means themselves to defend against these calls. Trying to block individual numbers is no use either as they are ever-changing but call screening can be very effective. Have you thought about using a call screening device/phone to stop them ringing through to your home phone?

Hi keithrob,

Thank you for your post. I'm very sorry to hear about the calls you have had. 

Are you registered for the TPS & Action Fraud services?

Here are the links to their site: https://www.tpsonline.org.uk/https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/

These sites can help with scam calls. 

^Martin

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Sadly, TPS will not help in any way with scam calls. TPS is nothing more than a 'do not call' register for legitimate companies to use so as to avoid making unwanted sales and marketing calls.

Nothing wrong with registering with TPS to avoid those kinds of sales and marketing calls but scammers are criminals who will pay no attention at all to the TPS.

In my case number calling was 01329 25xxxx

[MOD EDIT: number edited in case it's an innocent number being spoofed]

Hi kerraddoo, 

We are sorry to hear this. 

Please have a look at this link here: Fraud Calls page for information on how to keep yourself safe.

You can also find information here on how to block the calls: How to stop or block nuisance calls on a Virgin Media landline

Hopefully this should stop the calls altogether for you. 

Keep us posted on how things go. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs