cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call from Virgin Media - Scam?

martadep
Joining in

I called Virgin media last week informing that I was going to move and needed to end the contract, they wrote back saying that I will receive the bag for the return of the modem and that everything is set. 

Today I received a call from number 03303035309 saying I am bla bla from Virgin Media moving team asking me to confirm my name then surname then the second letter of the password to which I said no, I didn't call you and I am telling you more than that. I did say my name though even it started sounding suspicious, I was a bit taken aback. 

I would think it's a scam because virgin wouldn't ask for this security information when they call especially if there's no reason to call me. What do you think?  

2 REPLIES 2

goslow
Alessandro Volta

You can tell nothing from the caller ID number, unfortunately, as the caller ID can be faked. A Google search on it seems to show mixed results with some claiming it to actually be VMO2 and others emphatic that the call came from scammers.

Strangely (since an inbound call could be from anyone), VM do ask for certain details when calling customers to confirm identity. Some of the Google search links on the number did suggest a VM 'moving' connection and the possibility of it being a VM sales call to try to sign up the new incoming residents at the property.

In my opinion you did the right thing by giving out no information to the caller. The call could have been from anyone and you have no means of telling a real VM call from a scam call.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @martadep,

Welcome back to our Community Forums! Thank you for your post, and I'm sorry to hear that you received a call that could potentially be a scam call.

We do have to confirm certain details before we can confirm if we're speaking to the account holder, or someone authorised on the account. However, if you are unsure if it is a Virgin Media employee on the phone to you, we encourage you to be safe and hang up the call. If needed, you can call us back on 150/ 03454541111 to discuss any details about your move or potential package options.

You can take a look at our website for more details about Fraud Calls and what you can do to keep yourself safe.

Please let us know if there's anything else we can do to help.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs