cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call from +8001836408

ianchild
Tuning in

I keep getting calls from this number. I think it maybe Virgin but the fact it starts +800 instead of 0800 is concerning me so I dont answer it. Is this a genuine call from Virgin?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey Ianchild,

The number 0800 183 6408 does belong to our sales team but it would never be displayed as +8001836408, this may have been somebody trying to spoof the number from our sales team.

Please block this number and I will get this raised with our team to inform them of this happening.

Regards

Steven_L

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

Great stuff and you shouldn't get bothered again with those calls Ianchild.

Regards

Steven_L

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

43 REPLIES 43

Anankha
Problem sorter

Probably not, the whocalledme website doesn’t give much information other than it’s from a silent caller.

My Broadband Ping - Virginmedia

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey Ianchild,

The number 0800 183 6408 does belong to our sales team but it would never be displayed as +8001836408, this may have been somebody trying to spoof the number from our sales team.

Please block this number and I will get this raised with our team to inform them of this happening.

Regards

Steven_L

Thanks I did wonder. I have had about 5 calls so far and as I did not recognise the number I never answered. Have now blocked it.

Great stuff and you shouldn't get bothered again with those calls Ianchild.

Regards

Steven_L

jg666
On our wavelength

I've had a call from an unavailable number and it was a foreign sounding lady claiming to be from Virgin Media saying that she wanted to check that I was getting all the deals that I could. When I said I wouldn't discuss anything with someone who I couldn't be sure was from Virgin she told me what packages I have but I still didn't want to talk to her even when she said 'are you happy paying the price you are' and I said 'no' !

I didn't carry on the conversation but wondering if it was actually genuine?

Bit of an odd one this.  An internet search for +800 dialling code yields that it is an international freephone number...🤔

The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
Some video posts may contain swearing/inappropriate content for young children

π

I phoned Virgin last week to change my package and now I've had this same number call me several times since. It's coming up on my mobile as +8001836408.

On my call to Virgin last week I appeared to first get transferred to an Indian call centre and then when the man I spoke with there realised he wasn't going to get me to keep my current package he then transferred me to an Irish man who then sorted it all out.

If this is indeed your sales number and Steven_L you believe it is being spoofed then it appears someone within your support or sales team is selling or leaking our data? This seems serious, can someone please shed some light on this and clear up why this apparently spoofed number is only ringing me since calling Virgin myself?

Thanks.

Hi BlastByte,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and a very warm welcome, I  am sorry to hear you are receiving unwanted calls , I have checked this number and it is one of ours and I will get this fed back.

If you do wish to stop any calls from us you can call and change your preferences so you do not receive any such calls in the future.

Kind regards

Paul.

jg666
On our wavelength

The problem with the Virgin 'contact preferences' the last time I looked is that they're either 'on' or 'off'. There was no way to say 'yes to emails' and 'no to phone calls' for example. I can't believe that a company the size of Virgin haven't got proper contact preferences where you can choose which type of correspondence you want to receive. Since GDPR, every other site seems to offer this facility.

I'm sure when I changed my contact preferences to not receive any, then I stopped getting the useful emails from Virgin as well. I basically want to get rid of the constant spam calls from abroad but keep the useful emails. I even stopped getting the 'Virgin TV Edit' email the last time I said no in my preferences.