Menu
liam_everton89
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Call and Text Strange

Hi hope this is in the right area, we’ve moved in the last week and had Virgin broadband installed at the new address, today we got a call from someone claiming to be enquiring about our installation asking for our password. After saying I didn’t know tonhand they sent a text message off what looks a standard UK number saying it’s virgin and we need to talk to you so text us. 

Is is this normal? Why do you need my password? I don’t want to give out my password at all. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Call and Text Strange

@liam_everton89 wrote:

Hi hope this is in the right area, we’ve moved in the last week and had Virgin broadband installed at the new address, today we got a call from someone claiming to be enquiring about our installation asking for our password. After saying I didn’t know tonhand they sent a text message off what looks a standard UK number saying it’s virgin and we need to talk to you so text us. 

Is is this normal? Why do you need my password? I don’t want to give out my password at all. 

If this is genuine then they will be asking for characters from you customer verification passphrase. This should have been set up as part of the order process.  This passphrase will be different from your log in password (provided you didn't chose to use the same one). 

The verification passphrase used to be printed on the confirmation letter but I don't know if this is still the case.

liam_everton89
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Call and Text Strange

Thanks for the reply, yest asking for certain characters would be perfectly normal, it was just the “I need your password” seemed odd , I shall see if I get another call from the same number at all.

0 Kudos