Menu
M_H_M
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Cables left above ground

I lost broadband and tv earlier this week. The technician worked in the wind and rain (well done sir) to restore the connections and advised that there were defunct cables that should be removed and the good ones buried as they all lay above ground. I thought he said he would arrange this to take place but wanted to find out if this was the case.

0 Kudos
M_H_M
Tuning in
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Unburied cables

Technician repaired broken cables on Wednesday in the wind and rain (good man). I understood him to say that he would arrange for the cables above ground to be buried and the old defunct ones removed. How can I follow this up as the longer the cables remain above ground the increased risk of further damage and loss of service?

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Unburied cables

There have been numerous mentions on the forums about exposed VM cables just recently. VM's responses have been very mixed.

Generally seems they might offer to tidy them up for you or might offer to do more with them of they are a risk to health and safety.

Posting up some pictures can sometimes help explain what the problem is and what you want done about it. It allows the VM forum staff to see what the issues are.

Outcomes on this seem to vary significantly!

0 Kudos
M_H_M
Tuning in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Took almost 3 months for the new phone line to be reburied last year and that was only achieved through a helpful chap in the Community. I'm concerned about the security of service as well as them being a trip hazard.

20210430_110353.jpg20210430_110549.jpg

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

don't worry about the security. there is no security risk from the cables being above ground
0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Oh dear! Even by the very low benchmark of standards of some of the photos that appear on the forums, those pic's are a bit of a shocker!

One of the VM forum team should be able to arrange for someone to come and sort that out for you.

You seem to have past experience of this but be aware that the people they send out to do the work may do no better quality job than those who installed that lot in the first place!

The forum team normally respond within a week on here. Hope you are able to get that mess sorted out.

0 Kudos
Sofia_B
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi @M_H_M

Thanks for your post 🙂 

I'm sorry to see the cables haven't been buried, I can appreciate this is frustrating and we apologise for any inconvenience caused. 

I've emailed the Area Field Manager with the pictures provided to chase this up, I'll pop another post on this thread once they get back to me. 

Thanks, 

Sofia
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Sofia_B
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Just had an update from the AFM @M_H_M

We've booked an appointment in for you for the tech to come out and bury the cables, you can find the details of the appointment online via My VM. You can also make adjustments if this time/date doesn't work for you. 

Please keep us updated on how this goes. 

Thanks, 

Sofia
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

M_H_M
Tuning in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Had a call from Martin (AFM?) a little while ago advising of the appointment. Very impressed so thank you. However in my excitement I failed to mention that Wednesday's technician said that there were too many dead cables and suggested that they should be removed as part of the burying job. He marked the "live" one which I will advise tomorrow's technician. I have tried to call Martin without success and have since sent a text with this information which I hope he receives. 

0 Kudos
Sofia_B
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thanks for getting back to me @M_H_M.

It's no problem, I'm glad to hear Martin got in touch to advise you of this. I'm sure he'll pass this onto the technician, if not, you can advise the technician of this once he arrives which I can assure you won't be an issue. 

Any problems, just pop another post on this thread and I'll happily assist. 

Thanks,

Sofia 

Sofia
Forum Team