cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Breach of GDPR

Mrgreen201
On our wavelength

My details were used by call center to sign me up for a new contract. They did not ask or tell me that they were setting up a separate account with 02 . During this process they set up a direct debit using the bank details that they had for my old virgin contract. 

after this I phoned to get a pod for my wifi. I made it clear all I wanted was a pod. The next day I noticed I had an email from virgin saying I had signed up to a new contract for £99 a month (& connection fees of £35 ) I did not ask for this change or even here about it . ( I currently pay way less than this and my contact is valid till dec 2022) . 

i have been trying to complain twice I have been told a manger will call me within 24 hour only to receive an email sayong my complaint has been delt with and my £99 contact amd DD is all set up .. ( made me mad as completely wrong ) 

question is who can I contact about this as I have had enough!!!! 

8 REPLIES 8

Mrgreen201
On our wavelength

Please not the use of my details and the signing me up for a new contract without my knowledge we’re on 2 different occasions….. 

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @Mrgreen201,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post.

I'm really sorry to hear of this happening to you, have you signed up to a Volt package with us? As certain packages come with an O2 sim card, this should have been explained to you, when you signed up for your media account. 

Have you been given any complaint reference at all?

A new pod order shouldn't trigger a new contract, what did the team advise, when you spoke to them?

Regards,

Steven_L

I specifically told them I did not need a new SIM card .. I was told it came as part of the pack anyway.. at no point did I enter into a separate contact with 02 or authorise for my bank details to be used . Basicly my details were taken from my existing virgin account and entered into a new 02 account without consent 

Also being signed up to a new contract costing more than I currently pay and with a connection charge. I have been a customer for 12 years .. why would I sign a new contract paying more than current… I feel as if virgin media people on phone just want to earn a bonus from signing people up . Therfor will do whatever they need to to get it . Without a care about the customer.. 

PS 02 has just taken £6 out the bank that was linked to my virgin media account…. I did not set this direct debit up !!!! Bank details taken from vm and used for 02 !!!!!! Pure fraud and breach of GDPR .. BIG QUESTION IS WHAT ELSE WILL BE DONE WITH THE BANK DETAILS??? 

Hi @Mrgreen201 thanks for your further reply.

This is of course a concerning statement - when we sell O2 SIM Cards to customers as part of the Volt deal, there are several statements that must be read and generally they are quite clear, did this not happen to you?

The first thing to do is to call O2 on their helpline, they'll be able to look into cancelling the SIM Card for you ASAP.

Can you please let us know when this has been done and we can investigate what's happened and put things right for you? 

Many thanks

Tom_W

Mrgreen201
On our wavelength

I did phone 02 and cancelled it but they still took £ out the bank. I think I have eventually got someone someone from the U.K. on the phone who understood the issue.. all the int call centers wanted to do was discuss a new contract. Kept saying sooo sorry I can fix this let me look .. then oh I see I’m sooo sorry .. I can offer you a new contract for £90 a month but I can add a £40 discount to say sorry for the hassle and you have been a VM customer for 12 years ….  Wow what does it take to get through that I don’t want a new contract esp if I end up paying more than my old one …

Mrgreen201
On our wavelength

If you pm me I will get u details . I want a copy of the phone call as I am pursuing the ICO for breach of GDPR 

Hi @Mrgreen201,

I'd like to take a look into this as Tom is offline. 

Will pop you a PM so we can confirm some details and take it from there.

Thank you

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs