Menu
Simmoderby
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Bogus calls from 'BT Openreach'

Just a heads up to all!

Over the past 2 days I have had calls from people reporting to work for BT Openreach. They say that they have had notification from my router that my internet service is not working correctly - and then offering to 'fix it' for me.

I queried the fact that they were calling from BT Openreach when I am with Virgin, but the guy told me that BT Openreach is the supplier of the infrastructure and everything goes through them, with Virgin just being at the customer face...……..

I refused to connect them to my laptop and hung up. They called again 4 times yesterday and then again today.

Very persistent in their calls, would be easy to fall into the trap and give them remote access, so be careful out there!!

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Bogus calls from 'BT Openreach'

Well known scam. Well done for a timely reminder. Glad you had the sense to respond in the way you did. I'd have been less even-tempered!

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Simmoderby
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@HowardML

They did sound very convincing, a less 'switched on' person could easily have been tricked into this.  I was very polite - but when they called again today, I said I'd have to speak to Virgin - then they hung up!!

I am actually trying to speak to Virgin now about a different matter, but can't get a reply - loving the 'hold' music though 🙂

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

These scammers are hunting for the people who have little knowledge of how their systems or providers operate. The people in the know usually string them along for as long as possible, as its costing them to make the call. You can also have a good laugh at the idiotic things they will try & tell you.

A lot of people are using call screening now which means when they do actually talk to someone, as you have found, they tend to get more persistant.

PS. The @mentions only work for Forum Staff & VIP's on these boards.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
teabag
Superstar
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@nodrogd said: "PS. The @mentions only work for Forum Staff & VIP's on these boards."

Not quite true, there is a manual way round it 👍

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos