cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bogus caller

Holmsey1
Tuning in

Hi

I've been getting calls from the following number - 00448001836403 and they are claiming to be from Virgin. My gut tells me they are not so I do not engage with them other than yo tell them to stop calling. 

Would anyone be able to confirm if they are or is this a scam number?

3 REPLIES 3

Matthew_ML
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey Holmsey1, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry you are getting some spam calling. 

I have looked into this and I can confirm this does appear to be a scam number, I would personally block this number if you.

I will also get this number flagged. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Matthew_ML wrote:

Hey Holmsey1, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry you are getting some spam calling. 

I have looked into this and I can confirm this does appear to be a scam number, I would personally block this number if you.

I will also get this number flagged. Thanks 

The correct VM number is 0800 183 6048. The fact an international prefix was added means it could be a spoof. However some IP phones using offshore servers will display the international code of any call they receive.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Call-from-8001836408/m-p/4149230/highlight/tru... 

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

As per the other comments, that's an incompetent scammer calling.  Unfortunately it is easy for a competent scammer to "spoof" the number shown on your handset, so you should NEVER assume that just because the number is one you recognise that it is that organisation calling.  The scam callers won;t be impersonating your aunt Mildred, so if the handset shows Mildred calling, it will be her. If on the other hand it is valid number for VM, or your bank, or HMRC, that means NOTHING.  Sometimes they'll just use a random private customer number on the basis that people are more likely to answer a UK landline number that doesn't look like the sort of 0345/0800 or semi-distinctive numbers often used for marketing calls.

There are industry plans in place to make this number spoofing much harder, but by the time the painfully slow moving telco industry get round to that, the scammers will have worked a way round the plan.  For the forseeable future you're on your own with scam calls, and the best defence (other than assuming all incoming calls are scams) is to buy one of the BT DECT phones with decent options for blocking, delaying or diverting to answerphone incoming calls that aren't in your own list of recognised numbers.  The Advanced Phone Z, or the BT4600 are good choices.