cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT

Laurance
Dialled in

I have just received a call from BT? about the speed of my internet connection. Obviously a scam?
He explained that BT supply to all IPs...He was very convincing. He gave me his details below which I told him I would share with my IP Virginmedia

ID 10844429

Account BT 29022000
Tech no 1793596931

81 Newgate St EC3N 4AB.....The worrying thing is when Goggled this address is indeed a BT address.

5 REPLIES 5

goslow
Alessandro Volta

You seem to have worked this out already but (if you are after a second opinion by way of confirmation) the call was most certainly from a scammer.

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @Laurance,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post here on our forums.

This would have been a scam call and other providers such as Sky and Talk talk use the BT network for their cabling but our broadband is provided via Virgin Media cabling.

Regards,

Steven_L

jem101
Superstar

@Laurance wrote:

I have just received a call from BT? about the speed of my internet connection. Obviously a scam?
He explained that BT supply to all IPs...He was very convincing. He gave me his details below which I told him I would share with my IP Virginmedia

ID 10844429

Account BT 29022000
Tech no 1793596931

81 Newgate St EC3N 4AB.....The worrying thing is when Goggled this address is indeed a BT address.

Nothing worrying about it at all, you can Google the location of BT offices, it’s not exactly a state secret; so why shouldn’t a scammer do as well, just to add a degree of ‘authentic’ to their calls? The other numbers aren’t possible to verify so are certainly just made up.

Yes as you say. But I wanted put the word out....These people are getting cleverer by the day.

tvtam1
Joining in

Like wise just had a (lovely) asian lady argue with me that Im having problems with my Virginmedia via their BT network.

She wasn't to happy when I told her they don't supply Virgin. Then she was not so lovely the mouth on her wow.

Number to avoid [REMOVED]

[MOD EDIT:  information has been removed from this post. Please review the Forum Guidelines]