Menu
Highlighted
dave_123
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Account verification - bank details

Hi

Brief question.  My (elderly) mother phoned Virgin today to report a mobile phone issue and, on failing to give the correct answers to the 'give us the x x and x digits of your security word' she was then asked to provide the name and sort code of her bank although she wasn't asked for any bank account details.

She is now panicking as a family member has told her no legitimate company would ever request any bank information over the phone as part of verification checks, even just the sort code.

Can someone from VM please assure me that these questions (asking for bank name and sort code) do form part of your account verification process?

Thanks

Dave

0 Kudos
coenoby
Well-informed
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Account verification - bank details

@dave_123 wrote:

Can someone from VM please assure me that these questions (asking for bank name and sort code) do form part of your account verification process?

I am not a VM employee, just a regular poster on this forum but it seems that the answer to your question is 'yes'. There was a thread on this subject a while ago:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Reading-out-bank-details-over-the-phone/td-p/3...

On that thread members of the Forum Team (VM employees) did confirm that questions regarding the customer's bank details do (or may) form part of VM's verification procedure.  You can read through it and see that people have understandable concerns about that.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos