cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A device using your internet connection may be infected with malware....

PaulinLeeds
On our wavelength

Hi. This morning out of the blue I started to receive notifications on my android phone that it couldn't access my ntlworld email account. I could access the account on my pc and an android tablet. After several attempts I managed to create a new password and I can now access my emails using the phone email app as normal.

However, approx 8 hours later I've received an email saying a device connected to our network may be infected etc. I've done the usual checks and can't find any issues but I'm puzzled by the timing of the email, if there was a problem this morning why wasn't the email sent then? My account is still operating normally so do I need to change my password again? Is anyone able to give me any more specific information about what the problem may be? 

In the meantime I've not updated the password settings for the email apps on my desktop or android tablet so they shouldn't be able to send or received anything. I'm a bit paranoid about viruses so its a worry not knowing why I have been emailed or what more I can do to protect myself. Used free of AVG on phone and it's come back clean, used Windows virus features (up to date as always) to scan pc and it didn't find anything.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@PaulinLeeds wrote:
Have seen lots of posts on this topic, still would like to know what triggers the email. My ntlworld email has been affected by historic databreaches but obviously the password in use then has been changed multiple times. Could this historic breach be the cause of yesterday's flag in some way?

A historical data breach would not trigger the malware warning.

FYI: regrettably it seems in most instances the forum team are not in a position to be able to provide further information of the malware activity detected beyond that included in the notification.

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

PaulinLeeds
On our wavelength
Have seen lots of posts on this topic, still would like to know what triggers the email. My ntlworld email has been affected by historic databreaches but obviously the password in use then has been changed multiple times. Could this historic breach be the cause of yesterday's flag in some way?

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@PaulinLeeds wrote:

A historical data breach would not trigger the malware warning.

FYI: regrettably it seems in most instances the forum team are not in a position to be able to provide further information of the malware activity detected beyond that included in the notification.

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @PaulinLeeds thanks for posting and welcome back to our community.

Sorry to hear that you've been receiving concerned about emails from our internet security team.  It does sound as though the email was received or even sent, later than it should've been and was referring to the issue that your email was initially frozen for.  I would like to gain clarification on your behalf.  I am going to send you a private message.  Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right of the screen.

Regards

Lee_R

PaulinLeeds
On our wavelength

Thanks Lee, look forward to hearing from you

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi PaulinLeeds, thanks for posting here with your update. Since Lee is looking into things for you, please expect an update from him soon. Let us know if you have any more issues or concerns to discuss in the meantime, we're happy to best help.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs