cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A call from Virgin Media saying my broadband has been hacked!!!

steve_johnstone
Joining in

Rob

I have one of these calls this morning, they tried to get me to install Anydesk this morning which I refused to do. Before hanging up I strung them along to see what they would try next, turns out that they are creating fake VM pages on Weebly to try and fool people into downloading tools that allow scammers access to their PCs. The URL in this case was [Removed]

Regards

Steve

Regards

Steve

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate Hyperlink removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

4 REPLIES 4

Travis_M
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @steve_johnstone

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

Sorry to hear you've been receiving some phishing calls. What numbers did the calls come from?

Thank you for remaining vigilant

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi

The no. was [REMOVED] which appears as Liverpool No., it is actually a VOIP call from India. I receive these quite regularly and they use different spoofed no.s to look like UK no.s. These calls are from scammers pretending to be from either VM, Sky or BT claiming that your broadband has been hacked and trying to get access to one of your devices. Anyone getting calls like these should simply just hang up the call.

Regards

Steve

[MOD EDIT:  information has been removed from this post. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

All good info, but posting up the caller ID numbers is not that helpful really. There are plenty of websites for checking scam numbers. Increasingly, the fake caller IDs being used by the scammers are actually real numbers which have been cloned from innocent people or companies. The innocent parties then end up receiving irate calls back from scam call recipients. The number you have posted is a well-documented scam number. Even so, a bit unfortunate that you were asked to post the calling number in public.

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for providing us with that information @steve_johnstone

We are aware of this scam going on. 

We have some really useful information on fraudulent calls.  let us know if you need any further assistance. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M