cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A call from Virgin Media saying my broadband has been hacked!!!

dth8030
Joining in

Hello,

I have just received a call from someone saying that they were from Virgin Media advising me that my broadband had been hacked and that they needed to know my IP address to make security checks.

After I asked the person how, when and who had done this they became irate with me, so I asked them for their name and a contact number to call them back at a later time.

They then said that unless I speak with them now, my broadband will be disconnected.

I presume that this is a SCAM call and that the checks that I have performed on my broadband connection online have confirmed everything is OK.

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes it was a scam call similar to many reported on this forum.  VM never make unsolicited calls of this nature regarding technical or security issues.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

@dth8030  They then said that unless I speak with them now, my broadband will be disconnected.  I presume that this is a SCAM call and that the checks that I have performed on my broadband connection online have confirmed everything is OK.

Did you provide any information to the caller, run any programmes, or do any "checks online" that they asked you to?

@Andrew-G No - I didn't do any checks for them.  They were getting irate with me asking them questions in the end and even starting shouting - at that point I hung up.

Hi dth8030

Thanks for taking the time to raise the recent call you received with us via the forums and welcome to the community.

We understand the confusion calls like this can cause and unfortunately it is a well known scam at the moment aimed at gaining access to your home network and private/personal information. I've checked your account and there are not notes or indication of any pending issues with your connection or planned disconenctions.

Did you disclose any account details such as account number or password at all?

Rob

Hello,

Thank you for checking.

I did not disclose any details to them over the phone. In my previous reply I said I checked the line status, I forgot to mention that I did this online via my virgin media account.

Just from their tone on the phone I wouldn't have provided any details.

Thanks

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @dth8030,

Thank you for confirming this, I am glad you did not give out any information to the scammers.

You did the right thing by checking with us 🙂

Have a nice evening.

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide