cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2022 VM's New Year's Resolution

jhuk
Trouble shooter

How about proper secure passwords for our accounts not 7-10 letters/numbers only.

If you do not know how to implement it ask the Webmasters at Pr0nhub or XHamster as even free accounts have 100% strong passes for a decade at least.

Mine are all 20 Characters including Specials. 😉

Screenshot 2021-11-09 145128.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jhuk
Trouble shooter

I do not need advice or another explanation or excuses for VM's shortcoming as none of that will get the password any more secure and stop LastPass nagging me as my Total Security Score is not 1000% due to 2 sites, both VM's but thanks

I have been with VM 25+years and Liberty Global have not owned them that long (well at my age) and this very forum using Lithium used to be the same with poor passwords but as you said it is now Kronos (Lithium was renamed to Kronos) so it can be done.

There is absolutely no excuse in 2022 for not fixing this.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

ALF28
Super solver

VM passwords-could be stronger, I agree.

I recently had my virgin account password issues and had to reset my password, my memorable word enabled recovery.

I have asked the same question in my own posts regarding the maximun of 10 characters in passwords maximum with no special characters.

I remember the answer was that the system is run by  libery global and not easy to change the system, would  probably cost  $1m.

By contrast most companies now allow between 16  and 20 characters some allow special characters, some do not, some have 2FA protection.

The virgin community password allows 20 characters run by khoros.

Some companies store the passwords hashed in case of hacking, not sure what virgin do.

I use a mixtue of upper case, lower case and a few  numbers,the password strength of 75% you mention is due the the fact that 10 digit passwords could be hacked in 3 months or less as low as 2 weeks, so is still strong provided you use all 10 characters and do not use all numbers in which case it could be hacked in 3 seconds, many people do use  12345678 for example.

see this article from 2013, it is interesting with good advice.-

Why your password can’t have symbols—or be longer than 16 characters | Ars Technica

There are many ways that hackers get hold of passwords, brute force dictionary attacks can still happen but virgin use captcha at login which would make it difficult for dictionary attacks, but they also allow unrestricted access  to imap for "email clients" which may not be as secure?

On other company accounts I do use 16 digits at least and switch on 2FA, and even then I often have to reset passwords on accounts  for unknown reasons.

alf28

jhuk
Trouble shooter

I do not need advice or another explanation or excuses for VM's shortcoming as none of that will get the password any more secure and stop LastPass nagging me as my Total Security Score is not 1000% due to 2 sites, both VM's but thanks

I have been with VM 25+years and Liberty Global have not owned them that long (well at my age) and this very forum using Lithium used to be the same with poor passwords but as you said it is now Kronos (Lithium was renamed to Kronos) so it can be done.

There is absolutely no excuse in 2022 for not fixing this.