cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0800 183 6404 is this number a scam?

bdw
Up to speed

This number 0800 183 6404 has called me at least half a dozen times during the last week. I don't normally answer unknown numbers that look suspicious but tonight I did answer. The guy spoke with a foreign accent and said he was from Virgin Media. He then asked me for my post code. I told him I would not be giving out any personal details and hung up on him.

Is this a scam?

65 REPLIES 65

Izza
On our wavelength

I have just rang 150 and found no option to just ask a question so I picked the first option just to get a person to talk to.

All I wanted to know was if 0800186404 was a legitimate VM number.

The chap just wanted my account number to see if a note had been left on my account.

I told him the number was ringing my mobile ( on Vodafone ) instead of my home number ( virgin media )so was dubious.

He then confirmed that it was not a Virgin media number but still wanted to check for a note on my account.

I asked him if he thought the call and the note were in some way connected, which would be a massive coincidence, as he kept on about the note.

Rather cynical but can't help thinking it is Virgin trying to sell me something extra

My question is this..

How can I stop what is rapidly becoming harassment? I am getting 3 calls a day from these idiots and it is driving me nuts.

If I don't get a satisfactory answer to this very soon, I will be reporting Virgin Media to OFCOM.

AMY2207
On our wavelength

Hi,

If the call centre calls a few times and ask for different characters of your password everytime then they have all your password.This could happen if they get cur off and ring you back etc.... I'm sorry but if you ring me, you should know who you are calling. I won't be giving any details over the phone and have blocked this number as they are ringing every day.If you have any deals, surely you can advise customers via email 

Amy

jlippa
Fibre optic

0800 183 6404 is a number used by Virgin Media marketing offshore teams and in my opinion it is a scam. I consider it to be a scam because I never knowingly or consciously opted in to receive marketing calls from Virgin Media and there's no opt out feature available in the Virgin Media account area when logged in. The only available option to opt out from these marketing calls is to call Virgin Media customer services or go via live chat. I've done this but who knows if this will reliably work.

I have received unsolicited Virgin Media marketing calls from this number and others like it from people offshore trying to sell me Virgin mobile and other Virgin internet related services. This is poor business practice and it should be banned.

StevenR
On our wavelength

I've been getting these calls at least twice a day every day, but they appear to come from +800 183 6404 (which appears to be an International Freephone number), not 0800 183 6404. I haven't actually answered it yet, as they always seem to call at the most inopportune times and I am also concerned that it seems like a dodgy number. Is this also a genuine number?

SAFCDoog
On our wavelength
Back in July you posted to let you know if these nuisance calls continued so you could investigate. Looking at the number of negative posts in this thread, I'd say the bad practice continues unabated and someone up the food chain might wish to know! Just saying .....

Hi jlippa, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you have been receiving unwanted calls from us. 

Checking your account I can confirm the team have changed your preferences to No Contact 🙂 

It can take up to 6 weeks for all marketing to stop but should you still be getting after this point - let us know.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi StevenR and SAFCDoog, 

Thanks for your posts and apologies to hear you are receiving unwanted calls from us too.

I can confirm the number is a genuine number for our Outbound Sales Team.

I've gone into your accounts and changed your marketing preferences to No Contact so this will stop any calls you are getting from us. It will also stop any emails, addressed marketing and texts from us too.

It can take up to 6 weeks for things to completely stop but you should see it reduce as time goes on. 

If you have any further issues, come back and let me know.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Why on earth should it take up to six weeks? You are clearly providing these people with a customer's database of people to be called. Why not just take peoples' names off the list. I can show you how to do it if you are struggling.

@bdw wrote:

Why on earth should it take up to six weeks? You are clearly providing these people with a customer's database of people to be called. Why not just take peoples' names off the list. I can show you how to do it if you are struggling.

There can only be one reason why it takes 6 weeks for a change like this to take effect: inefficient internal process at Virgin Media. A process thought up by top of the food chain management level experts who have no interest in how their customers are affected by their decisions. I wouldn't be surprised if this process enforces that offshore marketing teams are forced to use old data..think print outs of spreadsheets lying around on desks.