cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0800 183 6404 is this number a scam?

bdw
Up to speed

This number 0800 183 6404 has called me at least half a dozen times during the last week. I don't normally answer unknown numbers that look suspicious but tonight I did answer. The guy spoke with a foreign accent and said he was from Virgin Media. He then asked me for my post code. I told him I would not be giving out any personal details and hung up on him.

Is this a scam?

65 REPLIES 65

SAFCDoog
On our wavelength
I had loads of problems with their rude and incompetent overseas staff. The problem appears to be they can speak English, but struggle with actually understanding the meaning of the language. I had to escalate matters so I eventually got through to staff based in the UK, who shared my exasperation. However, despite giving negative feedback on all the occasions I had dealings with Customer Service I never got any follow up. Certainly, the company never learned any lessons from their appalling service and I eventually swapped companies for my Mobile. Never looked back! I'd drop their TV package tomorrow if only their major competitors had a slightly better reputation. Unfortunately, they don't!

areevesuk
Tuning in

Like others, I don't normally answer unknown numbers but got fed up of the silent voicemails. 

Was about to hangup but the lady volunteered information about my virgin account which was genuine. She then offered to give me a promotional discount to reduce my bill as a long standing customer. 

After numerous keyboard clicking and "survey questions" she then informed me that she was about to add extra features I hadn't asked for and would increase my monthly bill by nearly £20 and that the full price for these unwanted features would be applied after 6 months.

I told her in no uncertain terms to stop right there and remove any "promotional discount" she was trying to make to my account

I am disgusted with the way Virgin feel it is okay to start a sales call implying a reduction in my bill only to then try and increase it with something I didn't request or want.

tinyf
On our wavelength

This is becoming a case of cold calling harassment.

I get a call from this number at least twice a day. I recognise the number now so don't answer. When I was answering I made it very clear that if I ever wanted to upgrade my phone or change my package in any way then I would instigate the priocedure and contact Virgin myself. I told the caller after the first few calls that I wasn't interested and asked them to take me off their call list. I also said that if what they were proposing would cost me less than I was already paying they should just go ahead and do it. Despite them agreeing to, the calls still keep coming.

This practice is despicable.

Kaz_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi tinyf

Many thanks for getting in touch with us about the marketing calls.

I am sorry to hear that despite you having requested to opt out that it appears this has not been actioned.

If you can pop back to me on the PM I've sent to you hat you can find on the top right hand side of the forums in the purple envelope I can take a look into this for you to see what we can do to support further.

Speak soon!

Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

SAFCDoog
On our wavelength

Just as a matter of interest, do Virgin keep stats on how many disgruntled customers there are through cold marketing calls and how many customers then leave? Also, do they keep records of how many customers opt out of marketing then get harassed again?

I would have thought as a business that allegedly considers customer care as a priority, that they would monitor their performance and take action where necessary. Obviously they don't from the number of customers they upset on this forum. However, I suspect the numbers on here are just the tip of the iceberg and there are many many more in the same position who are not members of this forum.

Kaz_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi tinyf

Thanks for the PM the other day.

I've checked into this and mailed the Marketing teams to update your preferences.

This can take up to 6 weeks. I've also re checked and this update has gone through since I messaged them

If after the 6 weeks you are still receiving calls from us then please let me know.

Kind regards.

Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

I've had two calls this evening from the above number, nothing new there but that this evening it was to my mobile number. I don't know how they got hold of that as its an O2 contract and nothing to do with my Virgin Media account.

I'm always polite to the caller because I worry that if I am rude they might mess with my broadband connection!!! but it is always....always... to get me to take out a mobile phone contract or SIM....always.
And I always say 'No thank you.'

Tonight though, I answered my mobile and there was no one on the other end of the line.

tinyf
On our wavelength

Thank you for looking into this. It's good to know from the PM I received that the calls will stop. What's not good, and in now way acceptable or understandble, is that it can take up to 6 weeks for them to stop! Ridiculous. As expected, I still received two calls today.

SAFCDoog
On our wavelength

In this age of electronic communications it is ridiculous that it takes up to six weeks to have a name removed from a list. Makes you think that this is a deliberate Virgin Policy to hack off their customers, or they work off paper lists that are revised every six weeks!  Ether way it is pathetic customer service!

have been receiving these calls over the past 2-3 weeks...  Usually 2-3 a day (which I let ring through) and then also an anwerphone message - usually 2 minutes long, silent...  Have now since blocked the number on my mobile but still getting the answerphone messages. 

So question is, how do I get taken off whatever sales list this is and, secondly, my mobile number is not with virgin mobile and as far as I can tell, my number is not listed on my account details so, how have they obtained my number as I have not given permission for details to be sold on?  Only time I have given my mobile was for engineer visit - they wouldn't of sold that data on could they?....