Menu
grommielad1
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

wrong cable installed.

Hi we had virgin media installed 28/07/20. the engineer (Andy 58460)who installed it said the subcontractor who installed the cable to the house from the box was the wrong cable, because we where 150m from the box in the street we needed a better cable for our package. We have tried to ask for this to be rectified via email, complaint online, and rang a guy who said our broadband was adequate and hung up on us. Are we in our rights now to cancel virgin media, as they have no given us the service we ordered? I have two boys and they are complaining that the wifi is dropping out all the time on their xbox, and I've had a movie buffer out when watching Netflix. Not happy. Cheers.

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: wrong cable installed.

Hello

The cable from the cabinet will not make any difference as the cable is used by all installations there is no difference whichever package you are on.

What package are you currently on i.e. 100mbs, 200mbs, 350mbs, 500mbs etc ?

What speeds are you getting with a direct wired connection to the hub with an Cat 5e or above Ethernet cable ?

Is the problem you are having is wireless ? If so can you have a look at https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Digital-life/WiFi-Wins/ba-p/3958523 which has really useful wireless troubleshooting.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

VM usually installs RG6 coaxial cables from the cabinet to premises, but on occasion the length of the cable results in excessive signal loss, so a substantially thicker (but more expensive and less flexible) RG11 cable is used instead. VM should send round another tech to troubleshoot your problem and to assess whether an RG11 cable should replace your current cable. In the meantime can you post some stats. Example (for a hub 3): go to 192.168.0.1 (router mode) or 192.168.100.1 (modem mode), do not log in, click on the link "Check Router Status".
Copy and paste the Downstream, Upstream and Network Logs. Mask any public IP address.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
Tudor
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I’m the furthest subscriber from the street cabinet and had the thicker RG11 cable installed a long time ago. Much improved my service.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

So grommielad1, are your ethernet cable connected devices having the same issues - or is it just wii connected ones? Note my lad is an avid internet gamer and would NEVER use a wifi connection - its ethernet via powerline adapters all the time for him.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hello grommielad1

Thanks for your post and sorry to hear about the buffering and console issues 

As already advised, the cab;e from the cabinet to the property would not make a difference unless it has been damaged. 

It would be best to use ethernet direct from Hub to any console for gaming 

I can look at relocating the Hub if you wish to a more central position 

Or you could look at some Powerline adapters 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
Bluebaron
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I've just run Rg11 cable from my house at great expense. (I had to trench and dig supply ducting for 150m down my private road to the main road) Virgin contracted with me to connect up there and run the other 150m to the cabinet but now they say the distance it too far (300m plus another 20 or so internal),

So now I'm £3500 down with no connection. 

Any solutions to this issue?

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I'm afraid you were mislead if you were told that a 300m cable run would be suitable. Do you have a written contract with VM and, if so, are there any penalty clauses?

TBH, though, I'm amazed that VM even offered you a contract as VM cannot carry out work on a private road without wayleaves from all concerned.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Most engineers won't even touch customer installed rg11 cable, but even if they did, for that distance you'd need a pit with an amplifier in it, which is too costly for a single installation so you'd be ruled out on budget. 

0 Kudos
Bluebaron
Joining in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Yes I now know  that its not possible! Unfortunately virgin's mis-communication in departments didn't relay that to the install teams I assume?

I was lucky in that I had signed contract for virgin to deliver services, they even supplied the RG11 cable for me to install. All I need to do now it get them to reimburse me for the damages (the costs to me to install their cable) for failure to supply/fulfil the contract.

Unfortunately its very difficult to get a single point of contact at the customer services end so ill probably have to result in going direct to court action as per my solicitors advice.

BB

0 Kudos