Menu
huggybear518
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

wi fi signal upstairs awful

how much do you have to pay for wifi boosters and why should i ? expensive for such a poor service

0 Kudos
Andruser
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: wi fi signal upstairs awful

Have you tried optimising the wifi settings of your hub?  It is possible you do need boosters or another solution, but quite often the hub isn't using the best settings, and there may be a lot that can be done without spending money or adding new kit.

So renaming the two wifi bands with different names, manually changing channel of the 2.4 GHz signal, and turning off guest network if not used?

0 Kudos
huggybear518
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

GUEST NOT ENABLED

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Splitting the bands is very unlikely to improve wireless signal strengths, and in theory will make things worse as splitting the bands will make it much harder for a wireless client to roam to the stronger signal.

The first basic step in optimising your signal would be to positioning the Hub. If on the floor try elevating it trying to put in in an open, central position as possible away from obstacles and electronic devices.

Downloading a free wireless scanner would show you the signal strengths around the home.
I would disable the smart wireless feature if you have a Hub 3 to disable Airtime Fairness which will slow down devices with a weaker signal.

0 Kudos
Andruser
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

"Splitting the bands is very unlikely to improve wireless signal strengths, and in theory will make things worse as splitting the bands will make it much harder for a wireless client to roam to the stronger signal."

Plenty of evidence in these forums that sharing the same SSID across both bands causes more problems than it solves.  Nothing to do with signal strengths as that's governed by the wifi standards, some devices clearly struggle when confronted with different networks using the same name.  Where have you been for the past few years?

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Andruser wrote:

"Splitting the bands is very unlikely to improve wireless signal strengths, and in theory will make things worse as splitting the bands will make it much harder for a wireless client to roam to the stronger signal."

Plenty of evidence in these forums that sharing the same SSID across both bands causes more problems than it solves.  Nothing to do with signal strengths as that's governed by the wifi standards, some devices clearly struggle when confronted with different networks using the same name.  Where have you been for the past few years?

What sort of problems are these then? please enlighten us.
There are many causes of poor wireless reception with different resolutions.

Will it resolve wireless signal strength problems, a very common of poor speeds and dropouts? you have already said that signal strength is governed by wifi standards.(It is not, it is governed by law nothing to do with standards)
I suspect you mean transmit power, there is no standard for received signal strength, where the problem lies.

I think you will find that splitting the bands can only solve initial connection problems, which you only see on the internet outside these forums when a device does not support 802.11k and maybe 802.11r. It is most common with devices like wireless printer which are not designed to roam, and older devices.

I am not sure why splitting the band resolves connection issues on here, my guess there is a flaw in the Hub3's firmware regarding the Auth\Assoc handshakes as you rarely see this problem outside these Forums. However, I have seen initial connectivity problems with 2.4GHz only clients resolved by disabling the 5GHz band, connecting the device and then re-enabling the 5GHz band

Devices should not be confused by the same SSIDs as the client should see two access points as wireless doesn't use SSIDs to communicate but BSSIDs based on MAC addresses.
BTW 2.4GHz only devices will not be confronted by two networks as it will only be able to see one.

Maybe you would like to troll the internet and have a read of the thousands of sites explaining the pros and cons of using the same SSID for both bands, you may learn something.

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Lots of cheap 2.4Ghz Chinese WiFi devices certainly do get ‘confused’ with combined SSIDs (probably bad code) and I have seen reports on other forums. One way some of these devices to get the password is by picking it up from a nearby phone and if that phone is on the 5Ghz band problems arise. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
kenny009uk
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

So whats the general consensus? Split or not to split? I had the ultimate oomph package installed at the weekend and havent been quite sure whether to do this or not.

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Try splitting them, you can always merge them back again. Nothing to be lost by doing a test. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos