cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why is there a power cord connected Virgin socket?

Pdr6213
Joining in

I just got Virgin broadband installed,it’s the M200 with hub 3 and I only took broadband (no phone nor TV).I wasn’t at home when they came to install it..

there is a second power adapter connected to a power inlay in my room , which connects to the Virgin wall socket.

what is this for? I’ve never seen this before.

Here are 2 photo :  

FA12DDB2-5429-4BDC-8E9D-802340A3364E.jpeg

1F175081-4740-42D0-9D86-D1C941E706B0.jpeg

16 REPLIES 16

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

According to Google, 7 to 10 watts 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

-dublicate post-

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@Pdr6213 wrote:
it's relvant because Virgin is not the only BB provider I can use and I could just go back to Sky or BT..same price.
that's IF it's usuing noticeable amount of power and the fact that I don't like an extra cable and a power adapter plugged in 24/7..

fair point lets establish what your connection is - if its FTTP then you have no choice - the power supply is part of the system as it would be with BT FTTP

if its a powered splitter then the arguments for it are different and it may not be needed if the adjustment it is making to the input signal could possibly be done in another way

Tony.
Sacked VIP

@-tony- wrote:

@Pdr6213 wrote:
it's relvant because Virgin is not the only BB provider I can use and I could just go back to Sky or BT..same price.
that's IF it's usuing noticeable amount of power and the fact that I don't like an extra cable and a power adapter plugged in 24/7..

fair point lets establish what your connection is - if its FTTP then you have no choice - the power supply is part of the system as it would be with BT FTTP

if its a powered splitter then the arguments for it are different and it may not be needed if the adjustment it is making to the input signal could possibly be done in another way

This is what's inside the Virgin socket:

IMG_0193.HEIC.jpg

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

no idea - have to wait for wiser heads to tell us what it is and does - i suspect you are on FTTP - the external box would tell you/us - its bigger than an original omnibox afaik

Tony.
Sacked VIP

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The web description for a power inserter is to send power back up the cable so that it can power kit. That doesn't match what a powered splitter does - which is to amplify the incoming signal, but not power anything.

So I'd agree with what @JOE-C said, and that it's an FTTP install

When checking last night I also came across this page which describes a FTTP install from a customer perspective

https://richardglover.co.uk/2017/07/virgin-media-fttp-install/

It includes a picture of a Vector optical node which is taking power from the single coax that's also supplying the Hub and / or TV for services, rather than using the separate power in.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Also worth pointing out that it says the power is 12v / 500mA, so that's around 6W from what a web search tells me (electrical maths is not a skill of mine!)
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own