cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why is there a power cord connected Virgin socket?

Pdr6213
Joining in

I just got Virgin broadband installed,it’s the M200 with hub 3 and I only took broadband (no phone nor TV).I wasn’t at home when they came to install it..

there is a second power adapter connected to a power inlay in my room , which connects to the Virgin wall socket.

what is this for? I’ve never seen this before.

Here are 2 photo :  

FA12DDB2-5429-4BDC-8E9D-802340A3364E.jpeg

1F175081-4740-42D0-9D86-D1C941E706B0.jpeg

16 REPLIES 16

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

the only 2 reasons i know of are

1 - a powered splitter 

2 - for a FTTP connection 

maybe others but do either of the reasons above fit

Tony.
Sacked VIP

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It looks like it's a powered amplifier to make sure the signal to the Hub is within spec. The power supplies for FTTP go back outside to a device in the outside box.

I've got one in my house, although it's a recent addition so it's a powered splitter for my Hub and a 360 box rather than in the wall point.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

JOE-C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

It looks like you have an FTTP connection. The powered second cable is to send power back to the omni box on the outside of your home. In this there is an onu which converts the signal from fibre to coax in order to connect to your hub. The onu needs power in order to do this. 

Hope this answers your question.

Thanks Joe 

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@BenMcr wrote:

It looks like it's a powered amplifier to make sure the signal to the Hub is within spec. The power supplies for FTTP go back outside to a device in the outside box.

I've got one in my house, although it's a recent addition so it's a powered splitter for my Hub and a 360 box rather than in the wall point.

I obviously need to re-read about the FTTP installs work - I think I've missed that power RF can now share the same cable. Back to Virgin Media school for me!

I’m not that technical with broadband tech,we didn’t have Virgin media in my area until recently.

is this setup something that could have been done differently without need for the extra power adapter?

does this additional adapter use much electricity?

I just rather not have an extra power adapter and extra cable,it doesn’t look like a clean install.

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Honestly, Virgin Media don't put them in unless they absolutely need to.

For FTTP the optical fibre has no way of delivering power, and needs something to convert the light wave being sent down the fibre into an electrical signal that can then be sent over metal cable to the Hub.

All providers delivering FTTP have to do the same for the same reason.

But saying that, even where Virgin Media install an extra powered device in a coax install, it's needed to ensure that the signal to the home is within the levels required to work properly. Without the powered device you could see issues on broadband or TV.

Does it use too much electricity?

@Pdr6213 wrote:

In comparison to what?

The plug looks fairly small so I can't imagine it uses a hugh amount of power. Not enough to be concerned about anyway!

Way less than the HUB I imagine.

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@Pdr6213 wrote:

is that a relevant question - regardless of what it uses if you want the BB to work its needed - the tech will not have fitted it for fun

Tony.
Sacked VIP