cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what wall socket to install?

keggersyy
Joining in

Hello,

I have recently renovated and want to reconnect my virgin media. What I don't want is the virgin media telewest box attached to the brand new walls. I intend to install a dual socket for tv and virgin media. Is this possible?

I was hoping I could use a tv and satellite f-type connection and have the installer connect the cabling outside the property. Would this be the correct socket to use? If not can I please have guidance on which one?

For what it's worth I tried calling VM already and couldn't get them to understand what I needed.

thank you.

SF0140MW.jpeg

6 REPLIES 6

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

That looks like a TV ariel and SkyTV socket to me and wouldnt work.

VM will have to get the cable from the outside omnibox into you house to the position you want the Hub. They usually do this by drilling through the wall and fitting a neat their own neat little connector socket (I dont think you can buy these ) - or they can leave the bare cable to be connected by the Tech

If you dont want the cable to go through a newly decorated wall the you could make another provision by running conduit tubing through a door frame, airbrick, under floorboards etc... and then up into the room - as long as you install pull ropes (strong string) in them so the installer can pull cable through smoothly and connect it all up

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm happy to do the drilling myself I just want a wall socket that sits flush with the wall and can match the existing sockets in the room rather that have VM's massive box drilled into the interior wall to be installed. If I switch away from VM I have permanent damage to the wall.

Can I use a euro module instead as per page 21 on the VM new install guide? Even the guide here seems to suggest I can use a Satellite/Terrestrial EuroModule

https://www.virginmedia.com/content/dam/virginmedia/dotcom/images/shop/downloads/New-Build-Handbook-...

I just want to be confident before installing if that makes sense?

Really appreciate the help

goslow
Alessandro Volta

I think some of the past VM Euro modules actually had the isolator cable attached which needed a deep back box to take the cable/connector.

I think the isolator is now supplied inline as part of a connecting lead so might be less of a problem.

Would a brush plate suit the aesthetic you are trying to achieve? You could the drill the hole yourself to a waiting back box and let the VM tech fit a cable. Then connect on the VM cable/isolator. Hide any cable joins behind the brush plate.

I would guess the VM tech might be very happy to find a hole already drilled but might be limited by the components s/he has on the van as to what s/he can fit for you. Might also not be that keen on fitting non-VM connectors.

That sounds reasonable, thanks!

Perhaps I can just put in a deep back box, and a wider (3 gang) euro module? then the installer can bend the cable into the box with the isolator if needed.

Either way it seems like a euro module could work with a 35mm back box? that gives options I guess?

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Euro modules come in a 2U and 4U, to fit a single or double wall box. Best faceplates I have found and I use lots of them are MK logic ones that match the MK sockets and switches. Blanks are available to fill the unused spaces.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@keggersyy wrote:

That sounds reasonable, thanks!

Perhaps I can just put in a deep back box, and a wider (3 gang) euro module? then the installer can bend the cable into the box with the isolator if needed.

Either way it seems like a euro module could work with a 35mm back box? that gives options I guess?

Some more Googling for VM's Euro modules looks like most recent versions just show a short cable connection, no isolator, so space may be less of an issue. You could probably go for a 2-gang/double back box 35mm deep which would allow for a 4-module Euro faceplate with some spare blanks (always good to have future expansion options!). If the VM tech turns up with said Euro module, all good. If not, fit a brush plate and hide the join behind the brush plate.